Serial numbers

Randall_pitz

The door tag is your body number as assigned to a completed assembly.   To my knowledge this is the only location it is found.  The tag on the firewall if affixed is a body supplier's number affixed till such time that Chrysler bought out Briggs.  The number most often used on titles and such back in the day was the engine number and it is duplicated on the frame at rear drivers side on the tip up over the axle.  do not confuse this number with the frame part number often inside of the frame and further to the rear..there will be a left and right number on each frame side...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

11 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

The door tag is your body number as assigned to a completed assembly.   To my knowledge this is the only location it is found.  The tag on the firewall if affixed is a body supplier's number affixed till such time that Chrysler bought out Briggs.  The number most often used on titles and such back in the day was the engine number and it is duplicated on the frame at rear drivers side on the tip up over the axle.  do not confuse this number with the frame part number often inside of the frame and further to the rear..there will be a left and right number on each frame side...

Is this also true of the P-15's and D-22's?

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

Is this also true of the P-15's and D-22's?

True as far as I know on Plymouth from 1930 Model 30-U through at least 1949 model P15 with the variation being that pre-WW2 the serial number plate was on the right (passenger) side while post-WW2 it was on the left (driver) side.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TodFitch said:

True as far as I know on Plymouth from 1930 Model 30-U through at least 1949 model P15 with the variation being that pre-WW2 the serial number plate was on the right (passenger) side while post-WW2 it was on the left (driver) side.

Thanks,Todd.

2 hours ago, Randall_pitz said:

My problem is the body didn't have the plate in the door jam

My problem is my P-15 coupe is titled according to the tag in the door jamb,and someone has stolen that tag. Which means I won't be able to sell the car unless I can replace that tag or get it re-titled using chassis numbers.

Anybody know where I can buy a blank door tag?

3 hours ago, Randall_pitz said:

When I title mine I guess my only choice is the engine number ?

Do you already have a title,bill of sale,or registration for it? If it has already been registered/titled in your home state,don't fight gravity. Use what is already on your title or registration,even if it is just the body number.

Some states have the engine number and the car serial number on the title,and those are the best ones because some states insist on using the engine number and some use the serial number. Never mind that some cars and trucks never had engine numbers even when they were new.

If you already have it registered  and have a matching title or registration,you have no problems if the numbers on your car match the numbers on the title. If your car still has the original engine in it,try to get it registered and a new title for it with both numbers on the title if that is possible. That way if you have to change engines 5 years from now you won't be driving around in a car with no valid registration numbers on the title.

• Like 1