Can I get some 1950 windshield setting help?

Don Colliau

I have some setting rubber that came with the car. Looking at it it looks to me that the windshield actually sets in the interior of the car and is held in by the inside molding. Is that correct? Also can anybody tell me how the glass goes in the tailgate on this suburban. Do i need a setting rubber with a locking strip?

Thanks,

Don

The Shop Manual explains windshield installation very well. The windshield goes in from the inside and the rubber lip rolls over the windshield opening lip. The inside frame helps secure it in place.

Upper tailgate Original part # is 1338879 for what it is worth- never have seen one on Ebay after 15 years of looking  Is it available now anywhere else? Have not looked for one for about 10 years.

My 50 Suburban had Tailgate glass weatherstrip that was a cut to fit type with the locking strip put on the inside. Sure it was not original ,Me thinks?

Removed glass about 15 years ago, kept a sample but its buried away in pile or parts in the car that's in storage. Also  in storage I have just one of the sliding passenger window seals. Takes two seals (diff. part) per side. Found it on Ebay about 10 years ago. Seller only had one and never saw another and cannot remember the # and my parts books leaves me lost for finding the part #'s.

Happy hunting,

DJ