Radio amps

bergy

1953 B3 here. Thinking about putting an aftermarket radio 12 V in the glove box. I am still running the original 6 V system. I was thinking about buying one of those Step up transformers that go from 6 V to 12 V but they only rated at 1 amp. I was looking at some pretty sophisticated radios like I have in my other vehicles iare aftermarket that included Bluetooth .I suppose all after market radios would have the amperage draw written on the radio or on the instructions .I  wonder if I'd be stuck with a plain 12 V radio because of the one amp amperage maximum produced by the step up transformer ?Anybody use any of those with any luck?  Another question would be with the antennae on the fender would there not be a cross ground situation running the positive ground system even if the radio is isolated in a ground proof box ?  Thanks in advance 

You are correct......the small cube type transformers will overheat and shut off. I found a much better unit made in New Zealand that does the job just fine. It is larger and has heat sinks and a cooling fan. Don't remember the rating but have had no problems since fitting it a couple of years ago. These were listed on ebay and were around $125 or so as I recall.

Hth, Jeff

I agree that amperage may be OK, but would be pushing the limit. I too have a larger capacity unit, capable of up to 6 amps continuous. It works great with my radio and I also have a couple of power outlets to run my GPS and Sirius radio. However, the company that made mine is now out of business.

Had a few minutes to kill during lunch today and did a little Googling... Found these that have higher amperage ratings.

This one says 3.5 - 5 amps depending if the engine is running. http://www.classiccarstereos.com/positive-ground-6v-to-12v-converter.html

This one looks like what Jeff talked about. http://www.cruisingelectronics.com/6-to-12-volt-converter

And one on ebay that looks a lot like the one from NZ, but comes from a guy in Iowa. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Port-6-to-12-Volt-Power-Inverter-for-Positive-or-Negative-Ground-NE14206-/231403828993?hash=item35e0be3701:g:L~0AAOSwiCRUmcIj&vxp=mtr

There's another one listed on ebay that is rated for 10 amps, but only for Neg ground vehicles. I sent him a question to see if he has Pos ground ones.

Merle

Edited by Merle Coggins

1 hour ago, Jeff Balazs said:

You are correct......the small cube type transformers will overheat and shut off. I found a much better unit made in New Zealand that does the job just fine. It is larger and has heat sinks and a cooling fan. Don't remember the rating but have had no problems since fitting it a couple of years ago. These were listed on ebay and were around $125 or so as I recall.

Hth, Jeff

Jeff, when you say "cube" you talking about this?

radio (2).JPGradio (1).JPG