Just acquired a 48 Chrysler Windsor

48Windsor

New here, trying to get up to speed on Chrysler products lingo. Just acquired a 48 Windsor, amateur restoration back in the 80's, Has been sitting for a number of years. Current owner replaced gas tank, all fuel lines, all new brakes, lines, cylinders, etc. Seems to run ok but old tires kept me from driving it home, so will trailer it home tomorrow, about 150mi. one way.

Next step will be to start going through it to get it roadworthy.  I've been reading, trying to get educated on it. I'm sure I'll have many questions. The Tech Tips contains a lot of great info.

I read somewhere they came out with 650x15 tires. Mine has 710x15's on it. Which equivalents should I go with when I replace them with radials?

Thanks for any insight. Looking forward to visiting with you all and hope I don't bore you all with my questions. Really like the old "marble dropper", at least that's what the fluid drives used to be called in this part of the country.

Tom B

Rossville Ks 

If you are talking about a modern radial size tire size on your original rims. On my 1949 Dodge I believe the factory tires were 6.70-15 and the car has 215/75-15 radials on the stock rims, GPS shows speedo as spot on. These tires come very close to the undercarriage at full steering lock. My 1941 Chrysler Windsor has the 6.50-16 Coker WW Nostalgia Radials, they look a lot nicer but the regular radials ride better.

Edited by 1949 Goat
  • Like 1

Join Yahoos PWHM 46-48 Chrysler, they are a dedicated group for these cars... You will have a lot of info on there you may not find on here, you of course will have all the mechanical basics as a D24 or P15, but different engines and other things...

Thanks for the replies. So somewhere around 215 or 225-75-15's should work, and not screw up the speedo too bad.? Sounds like I will have to watch it closely if I go with 225.   

I looked at the Yahoo group but didn't look like there was much activity on it. Will check it out. Also, will post a pic or two when I get it home. 

Thanks again.

Tom B

If you're sticking with the stock wheels, 225's are way too wide. Even the 215's are too wide.  When I bought my 1950 P20, it had Michelin 215/75R15 radials on it.  They are about an inch smaller in diameter than original 6.70x15 tires, but are wider by about 3 inches.  They ride nice in a straight line, but make turning at slow speeds a real chore, and parking a real pain.  They are also wider than recommended for the O.E. rim size (4 1/2" rim, but recommended for 5 1/2" rim minimum)  I'd really like to put on a taller, narrower tire that is closer to O.E. size and makes turning easier.   I tried the Coker "Bias Look Radials" last year, but went through two sets of defective tires before giving up and finally getting a refund. (out of round past the point of correction, sidewall bulges etc).   Diamondback continue to advertise their "new" Auburn bias look radial, but when I called them a month ago they said they have no information on when they'll actually be available. One option I'm considering is going to the Yokohama RY215, size 7r15.  I think they're available only in blackwall at the moment, but it's a DOT approved radial very close to the O.E. size...very similar contact width and about an inch taller.   I've read reviews of them at Tirerack, including from people who've installed them on older vehicles, and they're all positive. There is an older thread on those in the forums here as well. I believe Diamondback at one point used the RY 215 as a base for one of their WWW offerings, but I don't know if they still do.   

Edited by st63

I have Coker 205/75R-15 inch radials on my Dodge.  They made a huge improvement in handling and ride quality over the old bias ply tires. They have white walls, but the WW are only 2 3/8 wide, not super wide.  The 205/75R  tires were the closest width match to the original bias plies.

I just bit the bullet and ordered a set of the 7R15 Yokohama RY215 radials.  Seems like the best option in a radial, being far closer in spec to the O.E. tires, and without any of the quality issues I found with Coker.  They also look a lot more like the original tires than any of the other radial options. Also, at 160 bucks each , they're about 70 bucks cheaper per tire than Coker!  I'll post back how they work out.  

By the way, I looked up the 48 WIndsor specs and see that they originally came with 7.60x15 tires....pretty close to what you have on it now, and quite a bit bigger than the 6.70x15s on Plymouth and Dodge.  Going down in size you'll make that old fluid drive work harder than it should. 

Edited by st63

Thanks for the comments. Trying to get used to using this forum. Don't have a photo editor so  here goes on loading a pic. That's  interesting on the tire size. Where did you get the info?

Just found a twisted wire lug on the generator, good thing I didn't try to drive home! Not charging. Will see if I can get it rebuilt. Starting the process of going through everything to get it road worthy. As you can tell by the yellow white walls, they are probably 30+ years old. They're severely cracked also.  Made the ol F150 grunt pulling home. Tom B               IMG_20170119_105043053.jpg

• Like 1

that vehicle looks to have some very desirable appointments on it already, visor and spot light....caps and rings and though I cannot tell by the pic but is that an electric gas cap..appears to be a tad large for a typical twist on.  Looks like plenty to enjoy...good find and best wishes...