Mustang 2 front end

awolproductions

does anyone have any experience in installing aftermarket mustang 2 front ends or where to source a good one for my specific car

1948 2dr plymouth deluxe 

Edited by awolproductions

Only one I know of is from Fatmans Fabrication which is a frame stub where your old  frame section is cut off about 12 inch in front of the firewall and replaced (welded in) with new frame section and mounts are built in for the M2. Includes R&P steer ,radiator and bumper mounts.  Must modify/ replace original steer column. Nice if you can afford/experience to do this.

A search using the "search" function on this forum at top right of page with "steering replacements" or  "front suspension replacement" should get you enough old posts on this subject to keep you reading for days! Fatmans any other methods.

Enjoy!

DJ

I installed a Fatman stub on my 41. I tacked it up, reassembled the front end sheet metal and decided I wanted the wheels 3/4" further back. So, I disassembled it and cut 3/4" off and welded it all up. Don't have its on the road yet but I'm sure it will work well. Sure does free up space for engine and exhaust.

i used a Paul Horton welderseries MII in my truck.  His website mentions use of one of his kits on a '35 Plymouth coupe and he should be able to recommend  one for your car.  The do require careful measurement and trimming of the base parts.  Progressive Automotive has also installed one of there own system on a Dodge of your era where they set up a jig to pick up all the critical mount points, removed the coke bottle shaped chassis section, rebuilt the front section of chassis into a more common straight frame section and then employing the M II style suspension on it.

Common with all kits, they require some forethought on vehicle ride height, rake and tire sizes because the anti dive geometry is affected.

I’ve actually done this a few times, and the results are worth the effort (you’ve GOT to take your time on this project – measure twice, or even three of four times, and then cut once…; when in doubt – don’t hesitate to call the company, since there’s no question that they probably haven’t heard before; and don’t try to over-think it, the company’s already done the R&D on their project, so they’ve already spent the money engineering their product to be the best they can produce). I don’t use Fatman, because I’ve never found them to be very helpful with questions, so I just don’t even consider them anymore. I’ve used Heidts, with good results. I’ve also use Chassis Engineering, with even better results, so if I had to pick and choose, I’d personally go with Chassis Engineering. Thx.

• 4 weeks later...

I've done a Heidts (39 chevy truck) nice quality stuff. Progressive Automotive (33 PD coupe) nice also. Bought off ebay  a universal  from Gearhead (40 Plymouth truck) not as good. DO NOT buy from Gearhead. Took months to get and credit card company finally got it for me. Really helps ride,steering and braking.