48-53 screen for the vent

48Dodger

Anyone ever come across a screen for the vent? And I'm referring to factory, not homemade, diy....I'll even except vintage aftermarket, lol. I have a lot of PH trucks and have never seen one, yet Ford's and Chevy's of the same time period did. I looked through the manuals and came up with nothing, but I've come across a few small parts the diagrams don't bother to include....ie the sliders on the starter yoke.....Just interested, being nosey about what anyone has found. :)

48D

I think I have seen around 100 Pilot-House trucks in person, but I have not seen a screen on any cowl vents...maybe Dodge figured the screen could be eliminated to reduce cost cuz anything that flew into that opening would eventually roll around on the floor :cool:

Mopar cars of the era had them. Truck buyers were too cheap to pay for that Extra charge-maybe the factory/dealers thought so?? :confused:

DJ

14 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Mopar cars of the era had them. Truck buyers were too cheap to pay for that Extra charge-maybe the factory/dealers thought so?? :confused:

DJ

Could be.....I just find it hard to believe there wasn't an option for a screen. Chevy, Ford, some International, and Mopar Cars had them......

I realize Dodge Truck guys are tougher than most, and driving with the window rolled down to feel the wind in our face is a considered a good thing, but........oh well. Here's a few pics of the competitor's vents from 1950.

Note that this International has no screen.

48D   

1950 Chevy truck cowl vent.jpg

1950 International truck cowl vent.jpg

1950 Ford truck cowl vent.jpg

Edited by 48dodger

Yup a bee, mosquitos, and rain fit just fine.  My 36 Plymouth, and my Dad's 40 Plymouth has a screen.   I thought something was missing on mine, but I've never seen a screen on a PH.

• 4 years later...

Trying to put my cowl vent together what do I need to open the vent from inside I believe I'm missing a couple parts. PS it is a 1953 pilothouse I have the bracket that goes underneath the dash I'm just not sure if I'm putting it in the right spot and what goes from the bracket to the cowl

• 8 months later...
On 1/17/2017 at 5:40 PM, Jeff Balazs said:

I know for a fact a bee can make it in ....in one piece :eek:

Hell, I am guessing a small bird could get through! ?