Water distribution tube

I was looking at the dreaded water distribution tube in my '54 230.   It didn't look too bad in there so I grabbed it with needle nosed pliers and pulled on it.  It moved about a 1/4" and stopped with a metallic clang.  Looking closer I realized that the inboard side of the tube was hitting the head and not allowing any movement.  I bent the offending side in and gave it another pull and out it came in one piece!

I figured it was time to go buy a Powerball ticket so I did.

water distribution tube 1.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, you got lucky! Powerball winnings have to be shared with all those who post on this thread!:P Looks like you also have what appears to be a brass tube which can easily be re-installed. Canadian engines all seem to have a brass tube whereas a lot of US cars have a steel one which rusts and often disintergrates upon attempted removal. Looking forward to my winnings.:P

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

I thought it was brass too until I put a magnet to it.  The magnet thinks it is ferrous and who am I to argue?  

I have no idea of the history of the truck so I have no idea of the maintenance performed.  The truck was not running when I bought it.  The previous owner stated that he had never been into the engine.  For all I know I might be the 32nd owner.

My next dilemma is to figure out how to get the gunk out of the tube.  I wonder if the radiator people can do that while they rod out my radiator.. 

• 11 months later...

My experience with the dreaded "Toob"...lol

Estrada Motorsports 1948-53 Dodge Trucks: Water Distribution Tube

You can keep my share of the Lotto winnings Jack.....I know you earn it! :D

48D

Mine also came out without any problem and was in remarkably good shape. I had already bought a new tube in anticipation of the old be severely corroded. 

Hers a picture of the one I removed, of course I used the new tube on my rebuild.

A49C9FB6-EAA1-44A2-B62A-C149011C3719.jpeg

every fall in put in a can of water pump lube which has a antirust agent. Over the years the AF will still work but the AF breaks down in the rust preventative agents.  The antirust or water pump lube is gotten at NAPA and is made by GUNK. It is a pint container and it is a white liquid that you pour into the top of the radiator.

Also remember to use the old GREEN style AF and not the newer stuff.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...