I thought I'd write up how I rebuild the temp gauges for our MoPars.

Start by carefully cutting the outside protective wrap at about 40 inches from the bulb.

Then coil the tube around your hand (starting at the bulb) and put it in an ice bath.

DSCN3230.JPG

Edited by B1B Keven
  • Like 3

Drill down the tube in the gauge about an inch (too far and you'll come out the front ruining

the gauge). Use a tiny bit to start, finish off with an 1/8" bit. TAKE YOUR TIME.

Cut a piece of copper 3/32nd tubing to 2 or 3 inches, put it down the 1/8th inch hole

and solder. Use compressed air to make sure the needle moves.

DSCN3233.JPG

Slide the exposed tube down the inside of the 3/32nd tube to check length (shorten if necessary).

TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND RELAX.

Take a pair of scissors and cut the small tube. Quickly insert it down the 3/32nd tube and solder.

DSCN3241.JPG

Edited by B1B Keven
  • Like 2

With the bulb still in it's ice bath take the gauge over to a pot of boiling water.

Unroll the coils made by using your hand and at the same time, put your nose

near your solder joints and drop the bulb into boiling water.

IF YOU SMELL ETHER GAS, REMOVE FROM HEAT, PUT THE BULB BACK IN THE ICE BATH AND CHECK YOUR SOLDER JOINTS.

You'll probably get one more shot at the repair before you've lost too much ether.

If you don't smell gas, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Adjust the gauge as needed so it reads both zero (out of the ice bath) and slightly more than 212 degrees ( in boiling water).

Edited by B1B Keven
  • Like 2

I agree, great write up Keven... although, I find it easier to just get in my truck and bring it to you :D  

• Haha 1

Thank you for taking the time to do this Kevin. I need to do this to mine as well and actually seeing you go thru it step by step helps tremendously.Its one thing to read about the process but reading and seeing is much better and helps to make the prospect of performing the repair for the first time a lot less intimidating.

John 

56 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

Thank you very much for the great write up kevin  \o/

I have read another article on this process, and it left me with questions.

After reading this article, am ready to dive in ... Awesome and Thanks again.

53 minutes ago, Brent B3B said:

I agree, great write up Keven... although, I find it easier to just get in my truck and bring it to you :D  

32 minutes ago, John Rogers said:

Thank you for taking the time to do this Kevin. I need to do this to mine as well and actually seeing you go thru it step by step helps tremendously.Its one thing to read about the process but reading and seeing is much better and helps to make the prospect of performing the repair for the first time a lot less intimidating.

John 

You're welcome. Let me know if I need to clarify some steps.

• Like 1

Time to get you another truck Kev...You're due!

Awesome write up...And nice in-focus pictures too. Sometimes it's the picture that does all the explaynin'. :D

48D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Hatfield said:

Awesome write up Keven!  You'll be doing mine when I'm finally ready!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, 48dodger said:

Time to get you another truck Kev...You're due!

Awesome write up...And nice in-focus pictures too. Sometimes it's the picture that does all the explaynin'. :D

48D

Thanks. Between you and Brent, I might have to get another one. Ya, I was really surprised how well the camera did. :)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

It's not very often when a professional repairman shows others his tricks of the trade. Kevin, you are one of very few. TKS. When my truck burned, Kevin sent me a complete new set of gauges and refused payment for them. Note the speedometer, he did that also. 

IMG_0936.JPG