Mallory YC distributor identification

40desoto

I recently purchased a small lot of parts for my 25" Chrysler block which included a Mallory distributor Model: YC   Type: 201 BX,  Set Contacts: 24, Dwell: 36.

Can anyone help me identify this distributor or know where I can find more info and parts for it.  Since the lot came with two, one is complete except for the missing rotor and the other missing the cap and all internal pieces.

Excuse my ignorance but how would I be able to tell if this is an electronic ignition or not?  6 or 12v, etc.. 

So I'm assuming these distributors that have set contact and dwell setting on the ID tag are not electronic ignition.  What is the benefit of these distributors over the stock?  Is there any value in these used distributors.  In other words, is it worth researching them and rebuilding them?

Sorry for these questions.  Im not to familiar with ignition systems.

are there six lobes on the dizzy internal for the contact to open and close the points. Does the end of the dizzy shaft have a gear or is it a slot or is it a flat spot like a screw drive end that would fit into the top of the oil pump, keyway type.  Your 40 Desoto would use a keyed or slot int eh oilpump to accept the dizzy shaft, it would be the same as my 39 Desoto. Also how long is the shaft on the Mallory it might be to long just questions.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com.

Old Mallorys are worth quite a bit for the old Mopar Flatheads...pretty rare to find too.

I have the same long block Mallory distributor and a 23" block Mallory.

One has a 3 lobe cam the other long block a 6 lobe cam..

I'll post some pics tonight of both.

I also found a NOS Mallory for one of my straight eight 1948 Chryslers!

They are a cool old and good operating piece.

Mallory Chrysler Straight 8 Distributor (6).JPG

Mallory Chrysler  DeSoto 25 Inch Engines.JPG

Mallory 6 Volt Coils.JPG

Mallory in P23.JPG

Chrysler 323 Mallory distributor (4).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

are there six lobes on the dizzy internal for the contact to open and close the points. Does the end of the dizzy shaft have a gear or is it a slot or is it a flat spot like a screw drive end that would fit into the top of the oil pump, keyway type.  Your 40 Desoto would use a keyed or slot int eh oilpump to accept the dizzy shaft, it would be the same as my 39 Desoto. Also how long is the shaft on the Mallory it might be to long just questions.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com.

It does have 6 lobes and a flat like a screwdriver. Definitely fits all three chrysler/desoto 25" engines I have.

missing the rotor and coil to complete a set.  I might just skip all the work and go with a Stovebolt HEI mini. These mallorys shure look cool though.

I load some pictures later. 

• 3 months later...

Bump.  anyone have any recommendation on using these distibutors over say an HEI Stovebolt distributor?

Im assuming its going to be a challenge finding replacement cap, rotor, coil in the future and wondering if the benefits of using these will outway the hassle.

I can't help re specific info on the Mallory dissys that you have but.........I have had a Mallory twin point YL series dissy in the 318 poly thats in my 1940 Dodge for about 40 yrs and have not had any problems with it, my understanding is that twin points give a longer dwell or spark duration which equals more bang........but 2nd but.......lol........I replaced a stock 1941 dissy with a Langdons HEI in the 41 Plymouth(had been converted to 12volts) I had and it was a marvellous improvement, instant starting, better running, just seemed a great improvement, so if it was me again?.....I'd still use the HEI but the Mallorys are definitely worth keeping, maybe clean & rebuild and there would be a market for them............andyd