54 dodge pickup motor swap

It's because it's pretty rare. I just looked on eBay and the only Poly 318 manifolds are stock 2 barrel. Matter of fact, there isn't a new Offy on there currently now either.

I am searching for a 315/325 Poly 4 barrel intake for mine and having no luck. All I can find is new Offy dual quad or 3x2 intakes.

The factory 4-bbl intake for the A engine is difficult to find;  I would be asking $300 if I had it.

A 4-bbl for the 315-325 is a bit easier to find, sadly I don't have one to offer. Put a classified ad in the Hamb  classifieds and expect to pay $250 or so.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wayfarer said:

The factory 4-bbl intake for the A engine is difficult to find;  I would be asking $300 if I had it.

A 4-bbl for the 315-325 is a bit easier to find, sadly I don't have one to offer. Put a classified ad in the Hamb  classifieds and expect to pay $250 or so.

That's about what I was thinking for price on the A engine and 315 manifold. 

8 hours ago, wayfarer said:

Perhaps I mis-read something...didn't you say the block was cracked?

A engine parts are readily available, just about everywhere...NAPA, RockAuto and points between.

The guy I got it from said it was under the freeze plug but I clean the block and didn't see anything besides missing freeze plugs loo

I would have the block hot tanked and checked for cracks before going any further. Unless of course you have some dye penetrant at home to check it with. 

If all is good from there, start searching for a rebuild kit. I have seen the kits between 1000 to 1500 for the parts on a 315/325. I would imagine the 318 Poly would be similar. That wouldn't include head work or machine work on the block.

There is a very active poly group over on yahoo groups. You may want to check it out. The 318 poly has a reputation for durability. Any that I have seen with the heads off had very little ridge after well over 100k miles. The combustion chamber is a good design, but the ports are a little small. They respond well to the usual hopup items, but consider the small ports and don't get too crazy. The poly can be found lots of dodge and plymouth sedans and wagons up till 66 and I think 67 in trucks. 1962 and newer will allow for more modern transmission choices.

Edited by cavisco1
spelling

Just trying to learn something here, why do they call it a "poly"?  I remember my dad's 54 Dodge pickup had a low side bed with a 241 (?) cubic inch V8 not a hemi, and a four speed.  I have no idea what that engine would have been called.