54 dodge pickup motor swap

Whoopsie deleted reply!

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

16 hours ago, tattooman43 said:

What was the reply

The reply was meant for the  315 Poly Engine to 54 PIckup thread. Type of bell housing wanted.

12 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

What are you wanting to install? The 218/230 is a direct bolt in on the mounts. While the 54 should of come with a 230. The 259 or 270 V8's should also fit as long as you have the correct bell housings.

I'll post a pic of what was in there I think it has already been changed out before and thanks for the help

That looks to be an early 318 Poly with the shape of the valve covers. Definitely not a stock engine. 

For your year, it should of been a 230 flat 6 or the 259 V8 I believe. Both would have floating power type front mounts and would have an inverted U shaped bracket mounted underneath the water pump and then down to the frame for mounts. No engine side mounts.

Are you looking to return it to stock or just looking for engine options?

IMG_0714.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik

The 4-bbl manifold indicates a 57-59 318, but manifolds get changed easily. Yes it is an A series engine but, without seeing the crank flange, it could be as late as '66.

The side mounts attached to the engine are not oem.....and how about that exhaust 'pipe'........

3 hours ago, wayfarer said:

The 4-bbl manifold indicates a 57-59 318, but manifolds get changed easily. Yes it is an A series engine but, without seeing the crank flange, it could be as late as '66.

The side mounts attached to the engine are not oem.....and how about that exhaust 'pipe'........

My 55 second series (late 55 & all 56) C-3-B8 has a 259 Poly with the same 4 bbl WCFB carb. It may not be original to the truck, but I know it was used on 55 & 56 Plymouth cars as an option. My truck uses the front mount "floating power" bracket behind the water pump and bolted to the front cross member like the L6 engines used. 

Unless you want to dig up an old 259/270 Poly block or a 230 flathead and make it more original, You could toss some paint and a rebuild at that 318 and call it good.

Take it from me... buying a used Poly or Hemi and stuffing it in to keep the period correct cool factor is looking to be pretty darn expensive!

Edited by 59bisquik

1 hour ago, 59bisquik said:

Unless you want to dig up an old 259/270 Poly block or a 230 flathead and make it more original, You could toss some paint and a rebuild at that 318 and call it good.

Take it from me... buying a used Poly or Hemi and stuffing it in to keep the period correct cool factor is looking to be pretty darn expensive!

the block is cracked under freeze plug

10 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

That looks to be an early 318 Poly with the shape of the valve covers. Definitely not a stock engine

For your year, it should of been a 230 flat 6 or the 259 V8 I believe. Both would have floating power type front mounts and would have an inverted U shaped bracket mounted underneath the water pump and then down to the frame for mounts. No engine side mounts.

Are you looking to return it to stock or just looking for engine options?

IMG_0714.JPG

The front has the u shape welded to frame then the big box looking thing to the block/motor..the back had big rubber bushings..I would like to find another 318 and just bolt back in but don't know where to start to look..someone said any dodge 67 to 02 with a 318 would work..but most of the newer ones have alot of add ons and computers

Edited by tattooman43

Look on the local papers and of course Craigslist. However, the one you have is a poly 318. I am not sure what the differences are from the 318 poly to the 318 LA to the 318 Magnum.

Here are some links to help figure out the differences.

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/poly318_1.html

http://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php?topic=195.0

5 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

Look on the local papers and of course Craigslist. However, the one you have is a poly 318. I am not sure what the differences are from the 318 poly to the 318 LA to the 318 Magnum.

Here are some links to help figure out the differences.

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/poly318_1.html

http://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php?topic=195.0

Thanks for the help

19 hours ago, William Davey said:

My 55 second series (late 55 & all 56) C-3-B8 has a 259 Poly with the same 4 bbl WCFB carb. It may not be original to the truck, but I know it was used on 55 & 56 Plymouth cars as an option. My truck uses the front mount "floating power" bracket behind the water pump and bolted to the front cross member like the L6 engines used. 

Not sure where you are heading William; the carb in the photo is an early AFB and the A engine is entirely different from your 260 Poly.

If the OP wants to maintain an 'ol-timey look then a pre-67 318, with the above 4-bbl manifold, will do the trick. 1967 and newer  LA engines (318-340-360) use different intake manifolds.

The bellhousing in the photo may, or may not work, all depending on the year of the engine. The bellhousing bolt pattern as well as the crankshaft were changed for the 1962 model year and will not interchange with pre-62 assemblies.

16 minutes ago, wayfarer said:

Not sure where you are heading William; the carb in the photo is an early AFB and the A engine is entirely different from your 260 Poly.

If the OP wants to maintain an 'ol-timey look then a pre-67 318, with the above 4-bbl manifold, will do the trick. 1967 and newer  LA engines (318-340-360) use different intake manifolds.

The bellhousing in the photo may, or may not work, all depending on the year of the engine. The bellhousing bolt pattern as well as the crankshaft were changed for the 1962 model year and will not interchange with pre-62 assemblies.

My mistake - I saw the post about the 315 Poly and just wanted to explain that my 259 Poly had a WCFB in 1955. Sorry for the confusion.