315 Poly Engine to 54 PIckup

59bisquik

I picked up a 315 poly from a 56 Dodge and want to put it in my 54. I am looking for a manual transmission bell housing and clutch for a truck. Anyone have a lead on a part like this?

Secondly, what other issues might I run into? I wish to use my 3 speed column shift transmission. I believe the 57 truck came factory with this option. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully, some of the 'truck' guys will opine as to the perfect bell to fit the chassis. As long as it is from a pre-60 L6 with the dual block pattern or a pre-62 'A' series engine or an EarlyHemi/Poly then the block is covered but you, no doubt, have 'stuff' hanging on your existing bell that will be needed. There may also be differences in the trans mounting pattern but it should be easier to 'fix'....

Although the rear mounts could be fabricated the clutch related parts might be more difficult.

Do you have a pic of what your existing bell looks like?  I don't have a truck-parts book for 1954 so have nothing to look at...

Edited by wayfarer

I think I have one of these dual pattern bell housings. I'll post a picture later today.

Unfortunatley, this is one of the few pics I have of my current bellhousing. It is just a L6 model, as it doesnt have two locations for the starter.

The automatic bellhousing that came with the new V8 engine has the dual pattern.

Cleaned Underside.JPG

1956 Poly 315 -1.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik

Here's a picture of the L6/V8 Standard trans bell housing...

Don't know much about these dual fit six and eight bell housings...Hydraulic clutch slave cylinder is used on it ..also bell housing has an angled  motor mount pad at each side at the rear.

Also drilled for different transmissions.

Bell Housing L6 V8 Mopar (8).JPG

Bell Housing L6 V8 Mopar (6).JPG

Bell Housing L6 V8 Mopar (3).JPG

Bell Housing L6 V8 Mopar (5).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Thanks DodgeB4ya! That is a different animal than what I have seen so far. Most I have seen (pictures on the internet only) have been driver side manual clutch and the angled pads are interesting. 

Hopefully somebody else has some pictures of a V8 bell housing. I have messages out to every old Mopar junk yard looking for one.

The biggest concerns are what is attached to the existing bell...   Can you measure the depth of your existing bell?

Are your clutch related parts attached to the driver side?

New rear mounts are the easy part.

Does anyone have a photo of something similar?

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:22 AM, 59bisquik said:

The only thing attached to the bell housing on the driver side is a small bracket to attach to the pedals.

The  clutch is mechanical on the driver side.

I will have to measure my L6 bellhousing for depth.

Excellent information about the pedal attachment.

Looks like you are golden with the dual pattern bell. The only possible issue will be the trans pattern and/or the input shaft length....both can be 'fixed'....

What is the asking price on the bell?

It was $199 shipped. Seems that everything that can bolt to a Hemi is expensive. 

BUT, if it works, its a small price to keep my project moving forward. 

I will have to fab up a set of rear mounts since this doesn't have the truck mounting pads, but that doesn't worry me a whole lot. I have the factory column shift 3 speed in the truck now but I also have a R10 OD transmission sitting there that will be installed with this engine. 

The only possible issue will be the trans pattern and/or the input shaft length....both can be 'fixed'....

What might I run into here?

It was from a 57 Dodge car, so I am hoping it should be the right length.

...Houston, we have a problem.....

The 230 flywheel is a direct fit to the 315. The bolt pattern is exactly the same. Even if your 230 has a 6-bolt crank flange it is the same pattern as the 8-bolt and you can use it with 6 bolts.

"slightly different pattern"  there is one bolt that is off by 4 degrees if that is where you are having trouble but, all of the 8-bolt patterns have the same off-set bolt.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wayfarer said:

"slightly different pattern"  there is one bolt that is off by 4 degrees if that is where you are having trouble but, all of the 8-bolt patterns have the same off-set bolt.

You sir are correct... Boy do I feel dumb right now.

Edited by 59bisquik

Is the gap due to the input shaft bottoming out in the crank? If so, you can snip off the end of the shaft as needed.

As far as pilot bushing/bearing you can mount one in the flywheel itself:

earlyflywheelbolts1-1.jpg

Cut an alum bushing to press into the flywheel and press a sealed bearing into the center of the bushing.