1953 dodge truck heater

bergy

Hello to everyone

I have no heater in my cab and I was wondering what kind of heater would fit this truck and if I could use the heater out of different Chrysler dodges or Plymouth cars of the same time period. I was thinking maybe about a bunk heater or maybe a heater out of the rear of a school bus . Thanks in advance 

I have a '53 B3B with a "CHRYCO Deluxe" heater. No fresh air inlet; just pulls in the cab air. All it has is a rheostat fan switch and the valve on the rear of the engine head for control. Would love to have a temp control valve on the inlet heater hose. Can anyone suggest a good after-market set-up out there? Thanks.

IMG_1027.JPG

" Would love to have a temp control valve on the inlet heater hose. Can anyone suggest a good after-market set-up out there? Thanks. "         I looked at a lot of temp control valves at the wrecking yard and the best one I found was on a Toyota truck , about 1989 year . It has a lot of plastic parts but the other valves that I saw were all rusted out . It has served me well for years . 

Just google cable operated  heater valve and you will  see lots of options then use a choke style cable to operate it ,FYI most have a small hole 1/16 in the centre to allow a very small amount of fluid through when closed ,so you might have to close the valve on the head in the summer heat.One of my engines has this style built into the head valve with the cable going to the cab but it is seized .

image.png

Thanks for all the replies. I now have several options to choose from. Am curious as to the "stock" type of valve used on our trucks with a cable heater temp control? Are they typically the inline, bypass type, or the non-bypass type plumbed into the head?

I use one just like in Reg's photo with the my fresh air equipped heater.

Btw Mark just wanted to let you know that the heater I got from you has actually been getting some use here the last few weeks. It has been raining quite a bit and I have been using the defroster with the heat off to keep my windshield from fogging up. Works pretty darn good with the blower cranked up. :D This was the main reason I installed a heater so I am very happy with the results.

Jeff

• Like 2

I bet one will show up for sale. I have a spare model 63 out of a 1952 truck. In the process of rebuilding the heater in my 1949 now. I wont let the spare heater go until I know mine is working. And the 6 volt motor is in good condition and the core does not leak, so I guess mine is good, still not tested though.

I dont know if you would rebuild one yourself, not to difficult. They did have some pieces riveted together. I drilled out the rivets and will replace them with screws when I put it back together.

What I did is soak them in a 5 gallon bucket of molasses and water to remove the rust. So I needed to get the pieces down to bucket size.

This solution does not remove old paint, only rust. For the guts of the heater, I am fine with that. Remove the rust and rattle can everything black again.

For the exterior mine already has to much paint on it, want to media blast it and then do  a two tone red/black .

These pictures are fun, here is a before pic showing the heater in the truck, truck does not look anything like that now, but fun to see where we started from.

And then a picture of the heater in its current state, sitting next to me in the living room. Just took the photo 5 min ago to post this. Glad I have a understanding wife  :D

And then there is a photo of the heater in the 1952. I admit it looks bad. Is a good coat of rusty fur on the face of it. I recently removed that heater and stuck it in the shed.

It actually is painted brown, and inside it looks much better then the blue model 61 in my 49. Just saying, when you look for one, you may find some that look a bit crusty, but they will clean up and work fine. Just sheet metal and paint. You can find replacement motors for the fans and any good local radiator shop can repair the heater core if needed.

a 119.jpg

IMG_20170122_195144168.jpg

a 087.jpg