Winter Truckin Challenge To You

55 Fargo

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:17 PM, wallytoo said:

a little skidder bridge panel hauling this morning.  the panels are made of six 8"x8"x16' hardwood cants, and weigh about 1600 lbs per panel.  there are three in the load.  took it fine, dump body made it easy to unload them.  needed 1st gear low range to get to the landing.

P1120001.jpg

P1120004.jpg

P1120006.jpg

P1120009.jpg

Awesome, I love to see old iron in use 

Roads were dry.  Took the B2JA out yesterday for a spin.  Started right up, good heater.   Think Spring!

• Like 1

OK, you guys have made me feel guilty for not facing the winter weather in my truck.  With a soothed conscience at stake, I braved the 76 degree weather and headed out.  I drove out to Luckenbach, one of my old hangouts (I only spent money there, never made any :)).  Anyhow, there was always more to the place than just the record.  I got to see Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, JJ Walker, Joe Ely, George Strait, Alvin Crow, Rusty Wier and lots of others, as well as drink lots of beer and generally make a fool of my younger self.

I knew Hondo Crouch (owned the place) and the lady that ran the bar for him, Marge Ottmers.  Hondo was an Olympic swimmer, coach, poet, actor and a self described "Imagineer."  Look up Luckenbach Moon online for one of his better musings.

I will load a few more photos of my perilous winter journey to Luckenbach for my fellow Pilothouse pilots in the "Off Topic" section.

View from the windshield 1-20-17.JPG

• Like 5

LOL, very brave of you Bob to brave the weather, dry roads and that treacherous hill in the photo :D

so thankful you made it ok and didn't hit any jackalope's

Jackalopes aren't near the problem they used to be since the invasive snowbirds migrated in and decided to stay.  The jackalopes undisturbed habitat is rapidly becoming filled with houses and more snowbirds.;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have Amish that work for me and they have Ice houses they store ice in.  They usually get 3 or 4 guys together and cut the ice when its 12" thick.  They have a English guy that hauls Amish and they use his tandem trailer and load all the houses in a day.  They use a chain saw to cut the ice. I know what you guys are thinking, that's not very Amish but that's just the tip of the iceberg. Pun intended.

Awesome use of a truck

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Todd B said:

I have Amish that work for me and they have Ice houses they store ice in.  They usually get 3 or 4 guys together and cut the ice when its 12" thick.  They have a English guy that hauls Amish and they use his tandem trailer and load all the houses in a day.  They use a chain saw to cut the ice. I know what you guys are thinking, that's not very Amish but that's just the tip of the iceberg. Pun intended.

Awesome use of a truck

I have a long time friend who took a part time job after retirement driving a crew of high end Amish cabinet manufactures and installers. He tells me interesting stories of the modern and not so modern ways they survive and prosper in this modern English world.

2 hours ago, Todd B said:

Awesome use of a truck

the ice gets put in an ice house here, too.  gets used for various things on the farm.

the first year i hauled ice, we put 44 blocks on the truck, so the load was probably well above 8500 lbs.  needed low range first gear to get off the lake that time.

wally

2 hours ago, wallytoo said:

the ice gets put in an ice house here, too.  gets used for various things on the farm.

the first year i hauled ice, we put 44 blocks on the truck, so the load was probably well above 8500 lbs.  needed low range first gear to get off the lake that time.

wally

I would be crapping one of those ice blocks if I had my truck on the ice with that much weight.  I have a hard time believing in the strength of ice. 

• Like 1