Winter Truckin Challenge To You

55 Fargo

18 minutes ago, Todd B said:

I would never take mine out in the snow, too much salt on the roads.

very little to no salt where I drove today. It was cold enough it would have very little effect.

Snow does nothing, it's salt, that creates a problem.

I have driven this truck many times in winter with no ill effects, but never drive on slushy salty snowy roadways, you gotta be smart about it.

Having a car or truck parked all winter is okay, but driving them at times is fun, where's the fun in something sitting in storage, but I realize in most cases its a wiser thing to do.

Hey Rockwood,

Thanks for the great video. Love the color and motor set up you have on your 'Functional Design" pick-up. What size motor do you have in it? What's the third member ratio? Looks like you were cruising there at a good clip and the flathead was running smooth and quiet. I have a '41 WC-12 4x4 running 900-16 NDT's with a 237 and post war 8&3/4 4.30 soon to be 4.10 third members in it. I can cruise at 60 doing about 2450 RPM's. Unlike your truck though, it's gets pretty loud with the 6 bladed fan and straight cut gears in the transmission and transfer case. still you gotta love them Dodge built trucks.

228 or a 238 long block Canadian built engine ( don't have bore verified to determine if its a 3 3/8 or 3 7/16 bore), 1988 Mopar 8 1/4 with 3.23 rear end. I have p 235 75 15 tires.

I also have a 6 blade fan. T98 acme 4 spd trans synchro 2nd to 4th.

I am turning about 2500 rpm at 60 mph....

Great video, Fred. Your engine is likely a 228. Lots of those were made in Canada and I have an original one in my '53 Plymouth. I have never heard of a 238 CID built in Canada. The others I know of are 201, 218 (lots), 242, 251 (lots), and 265. Whatever you have sounds and runs well, and looks good. My cars are done until spring. Lots of snow here and the roads are a salty and filthy mess. We are getting a real winter this year after our non-winter last year!

49 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

Great video, Fred. Your engine is likely a 228. Lots of those were made in Canada and I have an original one in my '53 Plymouth. I have never heard of a 238 CID built in Canada. The others I know of are 201, 218 (lots), 242, 251 (lots), and 265. Whatever you have sounds and runs well, and looks good. My cars are done until spring. Lots of snow here and the roads are a salty and filthy mess. We are getting a real winter this year after our non-winter last year!

Thanks Rob, yes the 238 industrial and trucks a lot even in Canada, just a slightly bigger piston.

Cars never had them, and maybe light duty truks either.

By 1955 you either got a 228/238 or 250 in the trucks, and the big trucks had 265s.

At any rate, I have a nice 265 waiting in the wings for the go fast parts and eventual install...all the best

Last week Tuesday, drove a 120 mile round trip to Kettlemen City, CA. Truck ran great, this longer run was good for the truck. Now I'm ready for the BBQ in APRIL. MARK YOUR CALENDARS!  BEST TRUCK SHOW ON THE LEFT COAST. 

Edited by pflaming

2 hours ago, pflaming said:

Last week Tuesday, drove a 120 mile round trip to Kettlemen City, CA. Truck ran great, this longer run was good for the truck. Now I'm ready for the BBQ in APRIL. MARK YOUR CALENDARS!  BEST TRUCK SHOW ON THE LEFT COAST. 

Glad your out and having fun with the truck Paul.

However I do not consider your weather "winter" more like spring or fall type weather.....LOL

Why are you yelling?

He's probably yelling because he accidentally hit the "Caps Lock" button;)

28 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

As Todd said... too much salt on our roads. Plus my collector vehicle registration doesn't allow driving the vehicle in January and February.

Merle

My collector insurance allows for year round if you want, it was so cold just before Christmas, saw a number of collector vehicles out driving.

At sub zero temps things get super dry, and if roadways are clear, yu can get away with a little driving without damage. My route is on my road and a bit of the highway, only when dry and cold, no issues.

Its temps like 20f or so and higher the salt, slushy and filthy stuff starts,

Today cleared some snow, it is totally powdery dry, very clean, and lighter.

35 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

He's probably yelling because he accidentally hit the "Caps Lock" button;)

I know that Bob, he is just fired about about the BBQ party...

Edited by Rockwood

Yep ...Paul is super stoked to drive the fired " Patina" to the BBQ:D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

My collector insurance allows for year round if you want, it was so cold just before Christmas, saw a number of collector vehicles out driving.

It's not the insurance. That covers the truck year around. It's the vehicle registration that restricts driving now.

11 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

It's not the insurance. That covers the truck year around. It's the vehicle registration that restricts driving now.

Oh I se, well we have "public" insurance here since about 1970.

MPI Autopac, insurance and registration all in one

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

At sub zero temps things get super dry, and if roadways are clear, yu can get away with a little driving without damage. My route is on my road and a bit of the highway, only when dry and cold, no issues.

Its temps like 20f or so and higher the salt, slushy and filthy stuff starts,

Today cleared some snow, it is totally powdery dry, very clean, and lighter.

I know that Bob, he is just fired about about the BBQ party...

the amount of salt on the roads near where Merle lives is close to what is by me...a virtual cloud of salt dust flys up as you drive if it is dry out.

3 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

the amount of salt on the roads near where Merle lives is close to what is by me...a virtual cloud of salt dust flys up as you drive if it is dry out.

In closer to town, and in and around Winnipeg is salty for sure.

You guys have warmer weather if that sounds possible, we are like Grand Forks ND temp wise. The nice thing about ND is I have heard they do not use salt only sand thrown on the roads....

Just now, Rockwood said:

In closer to town, and in and around Winnipeg is salty for sure.

You guys have warmer weather if that sounds possible, we are like Grand Forks ND temp wise. The nice thing about ND is I have heard they do not use salt only sand thrown on the roads....

they LOVE salt in MN...the roads are white...I won't drive FEF till at least 3 or 4 good thunderstorms have gone thru in spring.

• Like 3

a little skidder bridge panel hauling this morning.  the panels are made of six 8"x8"x16' hardwood cants, and weigh about 1600 lbs per panel.  there are three in the load.  took it fine, dump body made it easy to unload them.  needed 1st gear low range to get to the landing.

P1120001.jpg

P1120004.jpg

P1120006.jpg

P1120009.jpg

• Like 6