47 Chrysler wiring

ssdave

That is exactly what it does.  The starter solenoid makes its ground through the generator armature. When the generator is charging, the voltage is equal to that provided through the starter switch so the solenoid cannot activate the starter.  On 49 and up, this wire is attached at the voltage regulator    When generator brushes wear out, it can make it impossible to activate the starter.  I wonder how many perfectly good starters got replaced when it was the generator's fault.

• Like 2

When a added an alternator to my 47 DeSoto, I grounded the brown wire.  This now means that I can grind the starter with the engine on - no longer foolproof.  If I were concerned, I could rig up an oil pressure shutoff switch, like I did for my electric fuel pump.