Wheels

Mike36

I have a '51 one ton with split rims ( Dayton ? )  they are 16 inch. Does anyone know if someone made 16 or 17 inch non split rims that will fit this truck ? All help appreciated.

Factory rims were Budd locking ring type...late 50s early 60s Dodge (maybe Ford and IHC) were drop center, non-locking ring type (modern) that might fit the hub, but brake clearance might be an issue...this has been cussed and discussed here every few months it seems like...maybe there's a video on the YouTube where a guy shows how to use a chain to seat the bead on a Power Wagon rim (HINT-HINT) :cool:

1 hour ago, Mike36 said:

I have a '51 one ton with split rims ( Dayton ? )  they are 16 inch. Does anyone know if someone made 16 or 17 inch non split rims that will fit this truck ? All help appreciated.

nothing easy....but I ended up staying with my split lock rings...nothing wrong with them, if you have the orignal rims they are split lock rings, not split rims for the 51.

I'll second what Mark said.  Clean them good, make sure that they're not rust jacked between the riveted centers.  As long as the rings / channels are in good shape with a straight lip and no distortions you should be good to go.  I did mine myself with chains, but if you're not comfortable doing them, any truck tire shop should be able to do them for you.

I have these rims on my '29 Ford. I agree they are dangerous if treated recklessly, but if respected and treated with proper safety precautions, no issues. I put 6000 miles on my 29 a year and no issues. Best of luck. 

Bach4660-those rims are interesting and have a nice looking offset.  Did they build them for you or did you send them your centers?  What size radials are you running on them? A friend of mine had them build rims for his 52 Power Wagon.  They were flat centers, no vent holes and were $250 ea. He uses them just to load his restored truck to an enclosed trailer w smaller tires.   I have seen guys running 16" radials on the Budd locking rings, but the two truck tire dealers that I spoke to  when I replaced all of my tires last year advised against going that route due to the width of the old rims.  I think Mark is running radials on his truck w/o problems but I went the bias ply route w new 7:0-16's all around.

1 hour ago, MBFowler said:

Bach4660-those rims are interesting and have a nice looking offset.  Did they build them for you or did you send them your centers?  What size radials are you running on them? A friend of mine had them build rims for his 52 Power Wagon.  They were flat centers, no vent holes and were $250 ea. He uses them just to load his restored truck to an enclosed trailer w smaller tires.   I have seen guys running 16" radials on the Budd locking rings, but the two truck tire dealers that I spoke to  when I replaced all of my tires last year advised against going that route due to the width of the old rims.  I think Mark is running radials on his truck w/o problems but I went the bias ply route w new 7:0-16's all around.

Yah, I'm interested in more details as well.  Bette/closer pictures would be nice.

Thanks

• Like 1

they are the Stockton series 24 Power wagon 16" rims. They built them, the original rims are a 6" offset, these are 4" backspace, the tire shop mounted 215's but I thought the 235/85's looked better even though the front clearance is a little tight. But after driving it has never touched the sheet metal. I will post some better/closer pictures this afternoon.

Edited by bach4660
more detail
  • Like 2