Brakes pull to the right

pflaming

I have disc brakes. After sitting for a spell, the right brakes over takes the left thus a pull to the right. After a couple of pedal pumps, they even out again. All connections, the rotor cylinders, lines etc are dry, fluid is up. I had to repair the left cylinder, so I am wondering if some air remains. If so, a 2nd bleed on that may help. Does this make sense? 

Question #2:  The engine oil is BLACK and I changed it less than 100 miles ago. Now I have driven the truck on many short runs around the community, but doesn't black = gas or very rich fuel mixture?  

I'm scheduled for a  150 mile RT next week, so checking out everything. 

Edited by pflaming

Sticky calipers?  Sitting a lot can cause them to get sticky. I had this on a 2001 Astro that I only use mostly winter and some times this has happened. I just first pulled the calipers, and pads and then used a clamp to fully depress the pistons to the back of the caliper. Also could be bad flex hoses to the front calipers. They can fail internally and not release right away.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
  • Like 1

Paul;

Jack the front end up and spin the wheels. What you describe sounds like you have drag on the right side. Could mean you need to adjust the amount of freeplay of the brake pedal.

The oil thing would have me worried to the point I would not go on a long drive without getting it figured out. If it has been diluted with fuel then you run the risk of serious damage. As a starting point I suggest you check your plugs and tailpipe for signs of running too rich. Also as I recall you have an electric fuel pump. If it is being used as a booster to the original mechanical pump then it is possible fuel is going directly in to the sump due to a fault in the mechanical pump.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

• Like 1

Paul if your getting fuel in your oil you should be able to smell it on the dipstick when removed and the oil will be thinner than usual.

Good luck with the checks,

DJ