Bed strip bolt pattern

David A.

I have ordered the metal bed strips from Midwest Military, but they aren't sure where to put the holes. They sent me long bed strips even though I told them it was a B2B. 

When I fixed up this truck the first time in 1979, I was only 16 yrs  old and all the original strips had rusted away so I only put 4 bolts in each strip to hold them down.

When I sent back the long strips I included one of my 4 hole strips which threw them off.

In searching this forum I find that each strip should have 7 carriage bolts, which is the same number Midwest Military said the military trucks have. 

So my question is this. Are the military and civilian bed strip bolt patterns the same for the short beds?

They want to make sure they put the holes in the right place. 

Thanks!

David

Glad you got with MM...they are good people.  I can't answer your question directly but someone should be able to take the measurements you need easily to the center of the bolt hole/head from the headboard end of the strip. MM should be able to translate the easily into your strips.

There should be one at the head board, one at each cross member and one at the tailgate end.  The rest IMO would space out nicely between the cross members.

• 4 weeks later...

Could someone please measure the bolt spacing on one of their 48-50, 1/2 ton short bed, metal bed strips, from the front of the bed to the back?  I need to get the measurements to Midwest Military so they can make my bed strips before they forget I have already paid them!!! 

All I know is there are supposed to be 7 bolts, but I can't find the measurements anywhere. 

Thanks for the help!

David

I also do not have something to measure. Why not measure yours?

Your would be the exact measurements that MM needs to insure that they work on your truck.

Like ggdad says, you want the 1rst one up by the cab, the last by the tailgate, and how many cross ribs do you have inbetween?

Is there more then 5? Would seem there would be a bolt for each rib, this would give max strength and help keep the new wood from cupping and warping.

I'm sort of surprised that they don't have those specs, or patterns if they sell bed strips. If the ones you had have 4 holes, they likely align with the front panel, the rear sill, and the 2 cross members. Then there are 3 more between each cross member. They bolt to the boards only with a fender washer on the bottom side. So measure the 4 holes on what you had, then measure half way between the holes and add 3 more at those points.

I can't get those measurements for you as I have a 3/4 ton truck. Maybe Mar-k has those specs as they sell strips to fit.

Merle

11 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

I'm sort of surprised that they don't have those specs, or patterns if they sell bed strips. If the ones you had have 4 holes, they likely align with the front panel, the rear sill, and the 2 cross members. Then there are 3 more between each cross member. They bolt to the boards only with a fender washer on the bottom side. So measure the 4 holes on what you had, then measure half way between the holes and add 3 more at those points.

I can't get those measurements for you as I have a 3/4 ton truck. Maybe Mar-k has those specs as they sell strips to fit.

Merle

when I had mine they were very careful to make it clear they want to get it right one the first try.  Since they DON'T normally do civilian vehicles they get concerned about not getting them right.

Getting it right is my concern as well, as I am planning on showing this truck for a while before just enjoying driving it. 

Since I have no original strips to measure, and I'm not even sure my 4 holes are in the correct place, I'm looking for help from a forum member, that has the proper bolt pattern.

Since Mar-k does not have the correct profile bed strips, for our Dodges, I hate to ask them for the measurements since I'm not purchasing their strips. 

I would really appreciate some help in getting these measurements.

David

I tried getting center-to-center measurements but kept getting stack errors on summations, so I went with baseline measurements that are absolute.  Baseline used is from bulkhead with bed strip length verified from both ends;  several bed strips were measured to verify measurements.

[Measurements followed with x align with cross member; followed with o are between cross members; last measurement is strip length]

Early 1948 B-1-B-108:

4x  15.75o  23.50x  39.75o  53.44x  65.38o  77.25x  77.88

1949 B-1-D-126:

4x  22.63x  41.38x  54.88o  68.38x  85.25x  96o  107x  107.75

1953 B-4-B-116 (1st measurement aligns with bulkhead flange):

.56b  4x  17.75o  31.63x  46.63o  61.63x  74o  87.25x  87.88

• Like 2

JBNeal thank you so much for taking the time to put all that effort into getting those measurements for me. I know it took you a while to get all that information and I really appreciate it!!!  That is exactly what I needed. 

Thanks again!

David

• Like 2