Oz Production Figures 1949-1952

Andydodge

The "S" denoted the lower priced series when there were two series to one model number.   P-18S was for the 1949 DeLuxe 118½" wheelbase models while the Special DeLuxe was P18C.  For 1950 Chrysler dropped the letters and replaced them with numbers.  The P20 Deluxe was now P20-1 while the Special DeLuxe was P20-2. 

Chassis only units were classified "C" from 1946 through 1949, no "S" series.  As matter of fact the lower priced series (S) was not exported to any country in that period and all export Plymouths and Plymouth-based Dodges and DeSotos were Special DeLuxe models (C).   Only Canada and the U.S. marketed Plymouth DeLuxe (S) and only Canada the Plymouth-based Dodge DeLuxe (S)

Of course, companies that purchased chassis units from North America and used locally built bodies could use any series classification they wanted.  The 1954 Australian Plymouth, Dodge Kinsgway and DeSoto Diplomat had a "-4" series not used in North America and that was used through 1956. 

• Like 1

Ausie............just noticed that your car has both "Chrysler" AND "Plymouth" badges on the front of the bonnet/hood................do you know if this is original? as I've only ever seen this on the pre war 1939 & 1940 models.........andyd

9 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

Ausie............just noticed that your car has both "Chrysler" AND "Plymouth" badges on the front of the bonnet/hood................do you know if this is original? as I've only ever seen this on the pre war 1939 & 1940 models.........andyd

Hi Andy, as far as I know they are both supposed to be there. The holes in the hood are all the same. May be my one was a press car or something like that. 

Anyone know whether the US 49 Plymouths have the Chrysler/Plymouth hood badging?..........I've never seen it like this on any other 49's............andyd 

Early production of 1929 model Q Plymouths had "Chrysler" on the Mayflower emblem, but that was the only time for US and Canadian Plymouths.

But all Plymouths after the model Q to the last one in 2001 were sold as Plymouth, and no Chrysler.    Including the 1949 -

1949 Plymouth USA Front End.jpg

Bill(?)........I keep forgetting your 1st name, sorry...........yeh, thats what I thought at least for this 1949 car....although I have seen OZ 1939 and 1940 Oz Plymouths with the "Chrysler" badge on the Oz drivers side of the hood or front sheet metal and "Plymouth" on the Oz passenger side so that when you look at the car front on, it reads.........Chrysler Plymouth.........also the Stradbroke Motors 1940 Plymouth sales brochure I have states "Chrysler Plymouth on the front and throughout its 8 pages........see attached pic(note the US style Coupe body shell with the angled centre pillar, (ours were straight pillars) which we didn't get although the "golf club" door on our passenger side our Coupes DID get)............confusing isn't it.....lol...........Andy Douglas     

img004 (8).jpg

• Like 1

Ausie......just noticed you are in need of an extension housing for the gearbox.......what the problem with yours?............andyd 

Ausie.......Not able to be welded or maybe brazed?.........I'd think you would have a better chance getting a whole gearbox than just the extension housing........just checked the US Chrysler Interchange Manual I have but for gearboxes it doesn't go back past 1955.............have you tried Jim Robinson in Victoria?..he wheels & deals in mopar parts etc.........how did it break anyway?........just had another look at your pics in the wanted section, thats really strange to have broken where it has.........most odd..............will go thru past issues of my Chrysler Restorers Magazine and see if anyones got a gearbox etc for sale..............andyd  

Edited by Andydodge
more info

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Andy and B-Watson, I have found another photo of an Australian 1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe. As you can see there is both Chrysler / Plymouth lettering on the hood.

So I believe that the Australian 49 P18s had both when sold here. This is the 3rd 1949 out of the 40 I have found here in Australia.

Cheers

Plymouth 6.jpg

Ausie........that restored car looks a nice job, tho' a pity the bumpers not chromed tho I assume the cost maybe a large factor in that, probably very little change from $800-1000 alone..........those "Chrysler" badges certainly reinforce the point and brand...........lol..........andyd