1947 dodge 3 on the tree

Brad47

Just a update to let you guys know what I have found , the axle is a ford 8.8 with a ratio of 355,the is clutch free of oil contamination . I'm wondering if the tranny has been opened up and a different 1st gear was installed if that is possible ? 

235 75 15 tires are give or take 29 inches in diameter.  At 60 mph with your set up your engine is turning about 2400 rpm which is where a lot of cars with OD would be running.  Changing the rears to 215 75's would change that to 2640.  Still a good cruising rpm, but a bit more spritely at take off.

• Like 1

Many years ago in a galaxy far far away, I had a '53 ford Victoria flattie v8 I aquired for $25.  It came with a fordomatic.  Being the kid I was, that wouldn't do.  Swapped the auto for a 3-sp stick.  All was well till I had to start out on a hill.  Lots of revvin' and slipping of the clutch.  

The stock rear gears with the auto was 3.31.  Stock gears for the 3-sp was 3.73.  I think your 3.55 combined with the tall tires is probably close to a 3.30/3.40 drive ratio whitch  is asking a lot from a stock 218. At least trying to start out on hills.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brad47 said:

Maybe my car doesn't like the 355 gears and the 235/75r15 rear tires ? 

My 1941 Chrysler has the stock 354 gears and 6.50/16 tires (over 29 inch). It does have the semi automatic and fluid drive, I only start the car out in first when on a hill or when the engine is cold after that I start it out in 3rd (4 speed). These engines produce a ton of torque in low rpms, I could hook up and pull a plow in 1st. My 41 has a strong 242 in it, but my tired 1949 Dodge with the Canadian 218 still has lots of torque.

You made a couple of statements earlier in the thread;

1- that when you stomp on the throttle in first that you smoke the clutch. If there is no drag from the brakes and rear end was installed correctly, even if the clutch seems to be uncontaminated it could be worn out, warped or weak pressure plate springs.

2- I have to feather the clutch to start on hills

The first seems to indicate a slipping clutch the second seems to indicate the clutch is not slipping  as you would not have to feather as it would slip more on a hill start.

Does your engine feel in tune and strong?

Yes the engine feels pretty good , it like to be warm like any old carb motor . You really have to feather this one to get going in first thou !

rear ends are everywhere for that diff so it might be worth trying different gears maybe ?

26 minutes ago, Brad47 said:

Yes the engine feels pretty good , it like to be warm like any old carb motor . You really have to feather this one to get going in first thou !

rear ends are everywhere for that diff so it might be worth trying different gears maybe ?

Do you have to feather the clutch on level ground to start out in first, more than a normal standard? Is it correct that the clutch will slip when the car is floored in 1st gear?

On 12/29/2016 at 9:23 AM, Brad47 said:

I am positive I am in first it just sucks lol good call on the brake drag I will investigate that and the rear end too . I also thought first gear should be a basement gear and should be able to do a smokey burn out but all it does is smoke the  clutch !!!! Lol

thanks so much for all your suggestions !! I will keep you posted

I was under the impression your clutch slipped when you floored it.

46 minutes ago, Brad47 said:

Sorry about that 49 Goat I'm not the best at this ! What do you think about 3,73 gears ?

I think you have other issues than your gear ratio. 

I sent you a pm.

Don't take this wrong, I'm not trying to be a smart a' but you sure you are not starting out in 3rd thinking it is 1st? I know I sometimes have mine in 3rd thinking it is first. Maybe with worn linkage that is what is happening. Would explain why 2nd seems lower than '1st' but 3rd is normal.

• 3 years later...

This is an old thread.  I found it by searching "Clutch engagement".  I am currently having the same problem with my '49 Suburban.  I have to "feather" the clutch to start out in first gear.  Have verified none of the service brakes or emergency brake are not dragging.  Did you ever come to a conclusion on what was causing the problem?  Best regards. 

lots of folks 'feather' their clutch to prevent vibrations/shudder on start from stop while all the time the very problem could very well just be your rear axle is out of alignment due to damaged/missing shackle bushings which will shift the axle out of phase when torque is applied....have you verified your bushing and of note again is other rubber components mainly being those of the transmission rear mounts...are these old and deformed also causing shifting of the drivetrain.  

I have experienced where the linkage has an issue. Bent, replaced and wrong length and the like.

You can get into a situation where you THINK you are in first but you really are in third. On my '47 there is a VERY fine line in the adjustment to get it so that it will shift into first and second without any grinding. It took some time and attention to detail to get it correct. If you go a little too far "toward the second gear" in the adjustment when you shift into what you think is first gear it is really going into third.

The definitive way to tell is to:

1. Have a tach on the engine and note the idle RPM.

2. With the rear wheels off the ground, put car into "first gear"

3. Use a hand held tach with the little wheel on the end and place it on the tire tread.

If the tire RPM is not the same as the engine rpm you are not in first gear. You can try it in third gear and it should be the same as the engine rpm.

James