1950 Wayfarer Trans Fluid

Budashlomp

I work at a Chrysler dealer and the boss just picked up a 50 Wayfarer. We have been going through all the fluids and making sure the old bird is gonna be ok when we finally turn the key and I am having a hell of a time figuring out the fluid for the actual transmission. The fluid drive portion I have service I've poured over forums till my head hurts and talking with the local auto parts is about like talking to a brick.  Can any of you guys tell me what to put in this thing?

If it is for the fluid drive coupling.

Posted by Dodgeb4ya

It's slipping upon acceleration because of low Fluid Drive coupling oil or a oil soaked clutch. The FD coupling access hole and 2 plugs are located on the rt side of the floor on the side of the floor hump. Onr on the floor pan hump the other one on  the bell housing . Then you can remove the 3/4" FD coupling plug after using the key to turn the engine over slowly to see the 3/4" hex plug line up with the access hole. DO NOT DROP the 3/4" hex plug down into the bell housing!!!!!! You fill the FD coupling up to the bottom of the threaded plug hole with universal tractor fluid. 

The literature I have seen from Chrysler does not recommend ever changing the Fluid Drive oil, just topping it up annually. Maybe this is why they never mention how much oil it takes.

A lot of us use TDH tractor oil, ISO 22 or ISO 32 grade. TDH stands for Transmission, Differential and Hydraulic oil. It is supposed to be good for the transmission as well as the Fluid Drive.

The trans will upshift with out the wiring hooked up but will not down shift normally..... very slow to shift down. Hold the clutch in and wait a couple seconds at a complete stop.

IMO regarding the Fluid Drive coupling that holds at least 6-7 Quarts.....

If the fluid coupling is full of fluid and not leaking ......and is operating fine don't mess with it by doing it a favor and performing a fluid change.

Don't spend 3 hours draing and refilling it. It could end up leaking.:(

I recently found these two old training videos and they helped me better understand what's going on with the Fluid Torque Drive that's in my '52 Saratoga. You can't beat Tech!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"The literature I have seen from Chrysler does not recommend ever changing the Fluid Drive oil, just topping it up annually."

I doubt that Chrysler ever thought that their fluid would be in a coupling more than 20 years.  I think the above is bad advise. To see why read my very old post.

James_Douglas..

if you are referring to my post above please note...it is only a "IMO" statement.

We will agree to disagree.