Hi from Scotland

WeegieBob

Hello all,

A quick post to introduce myself - I've just bought a '48 Special Deluxe and I'm looking forward to learning about them. I had a '57 Chevrolet 210 for 18 years which I sold about 4 years ago and bought a modern classic but missed having the steering wheel on the wrong side! :) 

I've been a member here since spring, but not having a car I was content to lurk reading posts and picking up hints and links. The first thing I've learned here since I got my car is it may not be a '48, but a '49 following spending time in the 'Resources' section checking out the VIN # listings.

Best wishes to you all for Christmas and 2017, WeegieBob.  

DSCF7548 - Copy.JPG

10.jpg

DSCF7549 - Copy.JPG

• Like 7

Very nice car Bob.  I lived in Edzell for 3 years back in the 70's.  Loved Scotland.  Married a local girl and brought her back.  The last that I heard they haven't seen Nessi since we came back.  We make it back every 3 or 4 years.

• Like 1

The P 15s  are among the finest low priced cars.  Thousands were still in daily service 20 years after they were built.Your car has a very attractive body style   that is, the Club Coupe.  It has a much nicer rear window design (in my opinion) than the business coupe.

Interesting heater connections, it must be a lot warmer in Scotland than some of my ancestors recall.   dp

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dpollo said:

The P 15s  are among the finest low priced cars.  Thousands were still in daily service 20 years after they were built.Your car has a very attractive body style   that is, the Club Coupe.  It has a much nicer rear window design (in my opinion) than the business coupe.

Interesting heater connections, it must be a lot warmer in Scotland than some of my ancestors recall.   dp

Thanks dpollo.

As you've noticed the heater has been by-passed I was told because its matrix was leaking - one of my fettling jobs over the winter. :) 

Very attractive car. Our(a ’46) is like it, only black, which isn’t a color we’d select, but it was black when we got it, and I’m not going thru the trouble of changing the color at this point. I remember seeing a Plymouth of our vintage with the steering wheel on the right side, but I don’t remember if it was a car in Great Britain, or in Australia. Are there many of them, either left-hand or right-hand drive, in Great Britain? Thx.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WeegieBob said:

missed having the steering wheel on the wrong side! :) 

Well, one thing about this statement, the left side steer wheel placement Is the Right side!  ;)

Nice car! Enjoy and updates on the usage/ repairs/questions.

Could be a late production P-15 model that ran in to the 1949 year as the the P-17 and P-18 (later 1949) were not ready to sell, hence it is a  P-15 but a 1949?

DJ

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The Dr's In said:

Very attractive car. Our(a ’46) is like it, only black, which isn’t a color we’d select, but it was black when we got it, and I’m not going thru the trouble of changing the color at this point. I remember seeing a Plymouth of our vintage with the steering wheel on the right side, but I don’t remember if it was a car in Great Britain, or in Australia. Are there many of them, either left-hand or right-hand drive, in Great Britain? Thx.

I'm gradually building a register of these cars in the UK and, so far, have details of 45 P15s.
I'm sure there are a lot more to be found, too.
Here's a picture from a meet we held in October.

SYWELL-7573-2.jpg

• Like 6

Very nice gathering of automobiles, to be sure. It’s been a long, long time since I’ve been to England (back in the fifties when my father was stationed in what was the American Occupied Zone of Germany), but I do remember that I liked it a lot. I’d love to go back for a visit, but at this point in time, I doubt very much if that’ll happen. Anyway, again – a very nice group of cars. Enjoy yours.

PS – Is it very difficult to get an American car, especially an older one, eligible to be driven there? Just wondering . . .

Thx.

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:09 PM, The Dr's In said:

Very nice gathering of automobiles, to be sure. It’s been a long, long time since I’ve been to England (back in the fifties when my father was stationed in what was the American Occupied Zone of Germany), but I do remember that I liked it a lot. I’d love to go back for a visit, but at this point in time, I doubt very much if that’ll happen. Anyway, again – a very nice group of cars. Enjoy yours.

PS – Is it very difficult to get an American car, especially an older one, eligible to be driven there? Just wondering . . .

Thx.

Hi Doc,

Its not a problem having and using a classic American car here in the UK as our vehicle licencing department (DVLA) is federal, one official body deals with every vehicle related regulation and licencing for the whole of the UK.

Enthusiasts ship cars from America & South Africa to the UK every day of the year and as long as the ownership papers and correct import documents are in place its a fairly straight-forward process. I was going to bring a P15 over from Florida and decided to get an international shipper to deal with it, sorted out a door to door contract and between the moving the car to Jacksonville from St Petersburg, Florida, onto a ship, across the Atlantic and then from Tilbury Docks near London on a flat-bed transporter to my driveway worked out about $2000 and that included additional import taxes when it arrived on British shores and federal tax (VAT at 5%). There's a big classic American hobby in Scotland (and the rest of the UK), so there's a reasonable amount of help if I need it. Spares I hope won't be an issue, for the Chevy everything was a available with a telephone call and a credit card, Plymouth spares I've still to find out about, but I think they're thinner on the ground than Tri-Chevy parts, time will tell.

• Like 2

Robin, very nice picture of your car meet.

Just curious, where was it taken?  My dad was stationed at Thorpe Abbotts during WW2, flying B-17 missions. Shot down over Germany and

survived a year in a prison camp before being liberated at the end of the war. He died 3 years ago at age 93.

Sorry, off track....I have a '51 Desoto convertible.  Wish it could have been in that lineup of beautiful cars.

Dean 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, De55 said:

Robin, very nice picture of your car meet.

Just curious, where was it taken?  My dad was stationed at Thorpe Abbotts during WW2, flying B-17 missions. Shot down over Germany and

survived a year in a prison camp before being liberated at the end of the war. He died 3 years ago at age 93.

Sorry, off track....I have a '51 Desoto convertible.  Wish it could have been in that lineup of beautiful cars.

Dean 

Glad you like the picture, Dean.
It was taken at Sywell Aerodrome. During the war Sywell was a training centre for Free French pilots and a repair station for Wellington Bombers.
Your father was a hero. You must be very proud.
Best wishes from England for a Happy New Year.
Robin

• Like 1

Hi Weegiebob,

Great car in super condition. I've had a 47 club coupe for over a year, restored and imported from the states in the early nineties. Needs alittle tlc, but starts up first time and completely bullet proof. I live in Chorley ,Lancashire maybe are paths will cross!  Happy hogmanay. .

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, baggieboy1965 said:

Hi Weegiebob,

Great car in super condition. I've had a 47 club coupe for over a year, restored and imported from the states in the early nineties. Needs alittle tlc, but starts up first time and completely bullet proof. I live in Chorley ,Lancashire maybe are paths will cross!  Happy hogmanay. .

Hi bb,

Thanks for the compliment, I'm still pinching myself over how nice it is. The guy who sold it to me had it for 8 1/2 years and it does him credit as he's spent a lot of money on it, yet wasn't greedy with his asking price. When I look at the money Mk 3 Cortina's and Capri's are going for just now I did okay. ;)

It the little things that add up, notice you have twin carbs which is an expensive mod to do with post brexit exchange rate! When you think this is really an  early 40s design there is lots of technology compared to the brit stuff...I'm sorry to say.IMG-20170101-WA0001.jpg

Plymouth saw good service on prom night, no one had one of these!

• Like 2