Rebuilding Original Water Valves

A while back I purchased an NOS water valve for my truck.  I posted a photo of it in the topic "Fun With NOS Parts".

However, I learned there were two different styles of water valves, and I got the opportunity to purchase the Y shaped one and jumped on it.

Having received the part, I disassembled and cleaned the parts.  Photos shown.  Problem is that the vane that rotates inside the body is missing!!!  I feel I can make a suitable one, but wondered if anyone has a photo of this part??

My guess is that it is a brass vane that fits over the stem and rotates to cover a port to shut off flow.  

water valve2.JPG

water valve 3.JPG

water valve1.JPG

Thanks for the link Ed.  I want to successfully rebuild mine.  I am missing the "bow tie" piece and also the small fitting that holds the cable to the valve.  If anyone has these parts, please contact me.  In regards to the seal around the shaft.  It appears to be a pressed in seal.  If mine is failed, I intend on removing any pressing a new one.  Just need to source one after taking careful measurements.

Here is the SKF seal that my original seal cross referenced to. Along with the pieces you said you were missing. Maybe the picture will help you make the pieces you need.  Hope this helps. 

image.jpg

Yes, SKF 3101. The spring is 3/4" high relaxed, and 5/8" diameter. 

The dog bone shaped phenolic that rides between the metal dog bone and the inlet and outlet ports is 1/16" thick. 

do any of these help?

http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/ggdad1951/library/heater control valve fresh air option?sort=6&page=1

David, is that rebuild kit still available? does it have the valve stem packing?

I don't think there is any valve stem "packing".  The seal around the stem is accomplished with a pressed in seal.  That seal is shown above- SKF 3101 is the replacement seal which does not have the same appearance as the metal housing on the original, but once the original seal is removed, it is pressed into the recess in the casting.  

I have not performed this repair- yet, but that's my take on it.

I think the original seal was a packing under the pressed in "Garlock" steel cup cover.

There was also an earlier cast iron dual heater control valve  that used a scew in packing gland nut to tighten up a leaking packing..

• 6 years later...

Bringing this old thread back....seems these have been re-popped by MoParPro!  I couldn't find them on their website yet, but a call might be in order if ytou are looking for one.

image.png.4476d80b3ece291824b23b4aff8d4175.png

• Thanks 1

I will guess the Mikey price....$569.00

And it won't work right..or it will leak.

1 hour ago, ggdad1951 said:

Well I paid over $450 for a NOS one about 8 years ago...so with inflation and such, mid 500's might be about right.

Wow :(

I got my NOS brass valve from Mitchell Motors back in 2007 for $62 and I was mad about paying that much!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bkahler said:

Wow :(

I got my NOS brass valve from Mitchell Motors back in 2007 for $62 and I was mad about paying that much!

When its about a restoration vs. a driver....things can get spendy...

Guess again,

1946 1947 1948 NOS Chrysler Dual Water Heater control valve-* very rare!

try $800, but hey, it does have FREE Shipping!

Edited by billrigsby
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, billrigsby said:

Guess again,

1946 1947 1948 NOS Chrysler Dual Water Heater control valve-* very rare!

try $800, but hey, it does have FREE Shipping!

That's an original not one of the new reproductions 

21 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

Well I paid over $450 for a NOS one about 8 years ago...so with inflation and such, mid 500's might be about right.

2 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

That's an original not one of the new reproductions 

Yes, was supposed to quote @ggdad1951, but that did not work!

8 minutes ago, John-T-53 said:

I haven't heard of Mopar PRO, what's up with them?

As for the NOS valve on fee bay, for F sake is all I can say...

Them is a he and helper.

Think it's better to go to the swap meets, garage and estate sales, craigslist and others to get way better deals.

Otherwise full retail plus plus now days buying from the known MoPar old parts dealers.