I did it!!

Don Jordan

With no radio, no windshield wipers, no phone I decided to visit my cousin in Cloverdale, California.  It took me 10 hours to get from Southern California to the San Francisco bay area.  Next day 3 hours to get to Cloverdale.  It was about 1156 miles (round trip).  I'm going to figure out how much gas I used and see what my mileage was.  The car drove like a champ.  I don't like driving at night because I don't have dash lights - I don't have dash lights because I don't drive at night.

Going across the Golden Gate bridge gave me chills.  It was 1948, I was lost in dreams.  At my cousins he took apart my WS wiper motor (and told me it's not a motor but we couldn't figure out what to call it).  I am going to have wind shield wipers.

I don't want to make a novel out of this but just wanted to say all the money I've put into that silly car was worth it.

• Like 13

A cool drive you will never forget and how much excitement you had too!!

Good going in your Plymouth!!

6 hours ago, Don Jordan said:

I don't want to make a novel out of this but just wanted to say all the money I've put into that silly car was worth it.

Some people may get a thrill out of trailering their cars to shows to maybe get a trophy,but to me there is nothing that compares to the "win" I get every time I drive one of my clunkers anywhere.

For reasons I don't really understand,my old 1939 IHC D-2 original "beater" pu draws more attention than anything else I have. It's been painted with latex paint using a brush,has the typical "farmer" weld repairs on the fender cracks using an arc welder,the wrong rods,and even pieces of flat steel with stovebolts for backup. Yet every time I park it while in a store somewhere,there are people taking photos of it with their phones when I come outside. My 37 Dodge truck,my 48 Plymouth coupe,and my 51 Ford coupe all draw attention too,but nothing like that old binder. Not just kids,either. Had a woman in her late 50's that works for the power company come to the house to check my meter last week,and she's thinking about buying it after asking me how much money it would take to get it. She took a bunch of photos of it before she left,and said she would get back with me after Christmas.

15 minutes ago, casper50 said:

You could put the money towards rusty the coupe KH.

You can bet some of it will go to the 42 or the 33,but I already have most of what I need for the 42 already. Need to buy floors and patch panels and send a bunch of stuff off to the chrome shop,but at least I have found and bought stuff good enough to send to the chrome shop.

I told her 6500 bucks,so I should have money left over to get a good start on the 42 after paying for paint and upholstery on my 51 coupe if she buys it.

Even if she doesn't buy it,my house will be paid for in Feb,so I will suddenly have some "free range money" coming in soon.

Providing of course the local hospital and doctors I have never even heard of before don't put IV's into my bank account again. Just paid the last of those bastards off last month. Or at least I THINK I paid the last one off,anyhow. Once they get you in their clutches it seems like you suddenly start getting bills in for things and from people you never heard of before,and after 3 emergency surgeries and a stroke,I was getting a BUNCH of them for a long time.

Edited by knuckleharley

1 hour ago, Don Coatney said:

Post pictures of the binder.

L Front.jpgL Rear.jpg

Engine.jpg

• Like 3

Truck is all original. The engine,chassis,and cab serial number all match. It runs and drives like a new one. I can cruise along at 55-60 mph and it tracks as straight as an arrow,no vibrations in the steering wheel,and it rides good.

I even have a rebuilt 2 piece original radio to put in it if I want. Right now it is parked in the yard because the radiator started leaking like a sieve,and I don't  have the money to spend on it right at this moment. I do have a spare radiator that came with it that I plan on taking to a radiator shop to have pressure tested,but it would be a miracle if it doesn't leak,too.

I will be driving it again this spring if that woman from the power company doesn't buy it,though. I plan on putting it in the shop,sanding it down to the bare metal,and then using Rustoleum Forest green paint to paint it  with a roller and spray cans. Going to paint the belt line yellow. I already bought all new glasses for it as well as new door and window rubber and felts,so that part is taken care of already.

I really like this old truck,but I can't keep them all,so it's going to have to go so I can have the money and time to work on something else.

Don,

As I recall, the word “automobile” is French, and loosely translated means “moves by itself”. So, I applaud you for using your car for its intended purpose – self-propelled transportation. My wife and I don’t go to car shows, as spectators or participants. Our greatest enjoyment of our car, a 1946 Plymouth P15 Special DeLuxe club coupe, is driving it. About the only time we won’t drive is when the roads are slick. Otherwise, weather’s irrelevant. Again, congrat’s to you!!!

Thx.