1931 Desoto Flathead Six

Dones475

Hello all,

Still kinda of a newbe here....I just pickup a 1931 Desoto SA  solid car but the engine needs rebuilding. The prior owner tore it down and it has at least 4 bad pistons.I'm finding replacement pistons are not that easy to come by. I would like to keep it as close to stock as possible. I the head has silverdome and SA 320030-1 on  it. Not sure what direction to go if I can not find replacement pistons and rings.Have not been able to cross them either. Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

The one place that comes to mind is Egge Machine Shop. You ain't going to like the cost,but they are one of the few places left on the planet to buy this stuff,and they do make quality parts.

https://egge.com/kit/de220m31/

14 minutes ago, Dones475 said:

Thaks for the reply ! Knuckleyharley.. Mine is a flathead 6 and that is a little bit of $$$$.

Going to keep on looking .

I just took another look,and it is for straight 8 parts. Sorry about that.

If it were me,I would either call him or send him an email telling him what you need and the bore sizes,and request a price quote.

Yes,they are pricey,but Egg manufacturers them in-house,and they are as good as you can find anywhere. None of that cheap Chinese casting crap.

I understand there is somebody in Turkey that has/had a warehouse full of flathead Mopar parts,but don't have a link. I seriously doubt he would have pistons for a 31 DeSoto,but it would  cost you nothing but a little time to do a web search to see if you can track down his email address to ask him. Even then,if he does have a set and they are a different size than your bore,you will have to bore your block or sleeve it to fit the pistons,and hope he has rings.

Egge makes them to fit the bore you have,and he has the rings,too.

Edited by knuckleharley

22 minutes ago, Dones475 said:

Thaks for the reply ! Knuckleyharley.. Mine is a flathead 6 and that is a little bit of $$$$.

Going to keep on looking .

https://egge.com/kit/cr217m31/

Take a look at this link. It is for the smallest straight 6 Chrysler put into their cars in 1931,so chances are it is the same 6 that DeSotos got. The prices are MUCH "friendlier" than those for the straight 8 DeSoto.

btw,you might want to check Delta Cams out in the great frozen northwest for rebuilt cams,lifters,and valve springs. Maybe even a crank. If they don't have one in stock they can send you,you can send them yours and they will rebuild it and your cam to your specs.

I'be bought and used a couple of different cam and lifter sets from them and been happy both times. One was for a 53 Ford tractor,and the other was for a 1958 Rambler OHV 6.

Edited by knuckleharley

To the OP of this thread, contact timkingsbury on this forum via PM, he can certainly direct you to parts suppliers.

You can also use a later 6 cylinder engine, say a 250 for more power, better more advanced engine design too.

This is f course you are not undertaking a dedicated OEM resto.....good luck

1 hour ago, Dones475 said:

Hello all,

Still kinda of a newbe here....I just pickup a 1931 Desoto SA  solid car but the engine needs rebuilding. The prior owner tore it down and it has at least 4 bad pistons.I'm finding replacement pistons are not that easy to come by. I would like to keep it as close to stock as possible. I the head has silverdome and SA 320030-1 on  it. Not sure what direction to go if I can not find replacement pistons and rings.Have not been able to cross them either. Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

The guy that not only comes to mind as he has a couple of 1929 Desoto's.  1  with a rock stock 6 and 1 that is as wild as it gets, is George Asche.  He is in his 80s but still very much active and rebuilds more flathead engines than anyone I know. His number is   814-354-2621.  Tim Kingsbury as Rockwood points out you can contact via the message service here.  He is the computer contact for George and when talking to George he refers to Tim as his 3rd son.  Between those two guys if that cant get your pistons and items required to rebuild it, I don't know who can.  I did have Tim's email and phone number but I cant put my fingers on it at the moment.

Barb

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plymouth#43 said:

The guy that not only comes to mind as he has a couple of 1929 Desoto's.  1  with a rock stock 6 and 1 that is as wild as it gets, is George Asche.  He is in his 80s but still very much active and rebuilds more flathead engines than anyone I know. His number is   814-354-2621.  Tim Kingsbury as Rockwood points out you can contact via the message service here.  He is the computer contact for George and when talking to George he refers to Tim as his 3rd son.  Between those two guys if that cant get your pistons and items required to rebuild it, I don't know who can.  I did have Tim's email and phone number but I cant put my fingers on it at the moment.

Barb

Barb, I concur, AoK Ashe/kingsbury, can help you out...

• 9 months later...
34 minutes ago, greg g said:

The OP hasn't visited here since last May.

Yea, I noticed that too.  If you go through some old threads you see a lot of unfinished projects with no updates.  

(I sent him a message, we'll see what happens)

Edited by 46Ply

after the original poster asked a question about piston I spoke to this gentleman and sent him some original piston information that came from my Thompson products catalog regarding the correct pistons. I have not heard anything back from this owner if he has or has not gotten the correct pistons.

Rich Hartung     Desoto1939@aol.com

Hello All !!!

Rich all is good ! . Unfortunately I got really sick and  spent a great deal of time layed up. Just getting back on my feet. In my down time I found new set of rods, valve, timing chain etc. Piston not so much luck. Looks like I may need to have them manufactured. 

I'm one of those with a project in waiting and I identify with Dones 475. It is so frustrating to know what needs to be done and to have parts ready to install but unable to continue. I'm five weeks out from knee replacement so getting there. Best to you Don, wishing you a full recovery. 

Saw this on a trek to my Doctor. Someone's project in waiting. I can't identify it.

IMG_1462.JPG

34 minutes ago, pflaming said:

I'm one of those with a project in waiting and I identify with Dones 475. It is so frustrating to know what needs to be done and to have parts ready to install but unable to continue. I'm five weeks out from knee replacement so getting there. Best to you Don, wishing you a full recovery. 

Saw this on a trek to my Doctor. Someone's project in waiting. I can't identify it.

IMG_1462.JPG

Looks like a 39 Chevrolet.

4 hours ago, 46Ply said:

39 Chev was my first thought too, but the tail lights don't look right for a Chevy.

I am thinking that due to the tail light shape and location that this car is a Canadian built 1939 Pontiac. I think that the lights were different on the US built models that year.

John R

http://www.collectorcarads.com/Pontiac-Chieftain/40562

• Like 1