Our October Route 66 Trip

JohnS48plm

In October my wife Mary and I along with our friends Don and Jane Palmer from Connecticut went on a trip on Route 66. We left on October 5 with our 1965 Plymouth Barracuda and the Palmers 1965 Dodge Dart both with slant six automatics. We saw a lot of great sites like the Grand Canyon, Gateway Arch, and the Petrified Forest. It took 15 days to get to Santa Monica, California from Battle Creek Michigan. We then drove up the Pacific Coast Highway to San Francisco and back to Michigan on I-80. The Palmers drove back across the south and up the east coast to Connecticut.

It was 3023 miles from Battle Creek MI to Santa Monica CA and 5889 miles for the entire trip. We went through 14 states, used 280 gallons of gas and averaged 21 mpg driving 65-70 mph with the air on quite often in the south.

JohnS  

IMG_3368.JPG

IMG_3426.JPG

• Like 6

Summer of 2018, our daughter and son in law are flying to the left coast, then drive 'Phoenix' back to Indianapolis, IN. Mom and I will caravan with them. Our route, Route  66 as many non I State highways as possible.  So got two years to trick out this truck. I drive it daily now, gaining confidence each time out.  With two old cars, you must have had some very interesting conversations along the way.  Cudos! 

• Like 1