Can a tire be mounted on side of bed for a 49 pick up

Angel4951

15 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

Another negative thing about the rear underslung spare is the fact that the top side of the spare has collected ample samples of where the truck has been since it was stored there. Oh and with the superior quality of todays tires resulting in the infrequent need for that spare tire, that big wing nut that holds the spare up has plenty of time to rust SOLID.

Anti seize and the occasional twist on them...simple

If you need a new set of tires for those Explorers, just go to shopping mall parking lot, drop the spare down and take the best four!  Not really recommended, but that is where most of those spares went.

Mount an 8" steel cube filled with iron filings, mount it where the underside spare would have been and the ride will improve 99 %. It is also great for traction in snow and sand. I'll do that to mine before too long. All of my Dad pickups were outfitted thusly. 

Does anyone have a picture of what is used and where it mounts for the side mount spare?   This will be a great help as I am trying to install a trailer hitch on my 49 B1 and the spare would be lying in the bed.

I like collecting side tire mounts....much the same how I like taking pictures of homemade rear bumpers on these trucks.

I haven't mounted mine yet (mostly because of racing) but that's soon to change.

I'll be using the one I got from Matt, the guy who "destroyed" a good truck to build the Pile House...lol.

If you remember, I pointed out Eastwood's youtube videos of Matt's build. He used my videos to understand the front clip removal,

and joined the forum to say hello. During those encounters, I talked him out of the mount, since he planned to throw it out.

Matt is a good guy who we haven't heard from for quite awhile, though I enjoyed the thread while it lasted.

Matt's blog on the build

I will have an under slung tire as well....for traction weight. :D

48D

On Friday, December 09, 2016 at 10:52 AM, ggdad1951 said:

Thanks for the pics.it looks like you got to drill 5 holes and cant see how the mount looks without the tire. Does anyone have a mount that dosnt need to drill holes? Here is a pic of a friends b2 who has 235 75 15 tires, is how it would look mounted.

What do you think ?

Resized_20161216_062251.jpeg

Here is one I spotted on ebay today that you can buy outright cheaper than you could fab one. I am not the one selling this,and I don't even know that guy. Just trying to pass on some helpful information that might save some member some time,money,and grief.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172426946372

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2016 at 1:26 PM, JBNeal said:

Crawling under a truck to retrieve a spare tire is automatic renewal of a dude's Man Card...going to a Sarah MacLachlan concert is an automatic revocation of a dude's Man Card :cool:

Ha ha! I'll leave proving manhood to those who still have a need to prove it. And if I feel like going to a Sarah MacLachlan concert (whoever she is), I will.  :P