Borg Warner R7

mark opa

I recently purchased a B/W R7 overdrive tranny from a local junk yard. I am looking to install it onto a 213 L6 destined for my 51 Dodge Coronet. How can I verify that it functions correctly prior to installing? The gears move as designed, my concern is the solenoid. Is there a place I can source solenoid - relays - kickdowns - governor? I have reached out to Randy Rundle at 5th Ave. but his are only for R10 & R11's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All you can do is bench test the engagement solenoid and keep your fingers crossed.  I am assuming the R7 is what was found in 40 Chryslers and Export Plymouths.  It will do the job for you although how it would be installed in a Coronet with Fluid Drive puzzles me unless it was originally in a Fluid Drive car.

George Asche is a good resource. I have an R7 in my 1950 4 door Meadowbrook with Fluid Drive, so it has the proper input shaft. Mine was a straight swap, no changes needed on the driveshaft, shift linkage, etc.

Thanks for the responses. I should have stated that I pulled the engine & gyromatic out of the 1951 dodge, and am replacing it with the Plymouth engine (the dodge was locked up solid) and the R7 is mated up with a std 3spd column shift. The input shaft is a good fit from preliminary measurements and a trial fit to the engine. I'm changing out the shifting column as the dodge column shifter is for the gryomatic and does not have functionality required to shift the std 3 speed. I was looking for the correct procedure to test the solenoid, and a source for possible replacement parts I listed above, as the tranny - O/D unit I purchased had long been removed from the donor car. Thanks again.

Try to apply 6v to it and see if it works. Unlike the R10, all the solenoid does is disengage the OD if you power it, usually done through a switch somewhere between the pedal and carb. 

So you could drive the car without it, its not like you get all that much more power by downshifting 

Make sure the input shaft is correct and the brake drum flange will mate to your driveline.

The chrysler R-7's require some mods to fit dodge and plymouth.

What model of car code and date are stamped on the drivers side of the case rear of the shift cover on the smooth machined area.