Spring from side wall to carburator

JPP

Ok, so I have it running but have no fenders or pans attached.  When I got the truck, there was not a carb attached and therefore no spring.  What kind of spring an I looking for?  I have one jury rigged up but I am sure there is a specification for it.  The harder the spring, the harder I push on the pedal, so looking for partnumber or source.  I have seen some real long ones on YouTube video, just wanting to know what is correct.  Thanks

I can't tell you a part number, but for safety's sake I always recommend a two spring system, it's what the companies moved too in later carb'ed years...and it's just one spring that fit inside the other, incase the main spring fails....which I have had...in the middle of Minneapolis on the way to Back to the 50's....sucked bad....LOL

Napa had a spring set I found to work, but I did search a long time to find a set that wasn't to hard on the foot, and one that would fully pull back the throttle too

Back in the day the automobile repair shops lacking scruples would charge a car owner for a full "tune-up" but the only thing they did was install a throttle return spring with less tension. Then let the owner take the mechanic on a test drive and convince the owner that the car would now accelerate much faster with less foot pressure on the gas pedal.

7 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Reg, I think that's the retainer pin for the speedo cable clamp. Mine is attached to the removable toe board, farther under the firewall.

Yes Merle is right, the original location is further down...I know, cause it's a pain to hook up two springs! lol

Reg, what is that spring on the upper part of throttle linkage going to passenger side fender wall?  Does the carb need both or is that a safety?  In Reg's case he only has the one and the other pics does not show Reg's spring. How many Springs do I need?  Is there a drawing, I can't find one. Thanks

There are actually several past threads here on this topic that you can look through. Try searching throttle return spring, etc....

Some of us actually use two springs.....one to the toe board and one to the inner fender well. If you do the search you can view photos and lots of comments.

Jeff

• Like 1

Can you post some photos up of what you have JPP?

There should be 2 springs - one on the shaft and one to the toe-board. The additional (third) spring to the inner guard appears to have been optional (and somewhat controversial). I don't really know where you would get those springs from, but I had some of these spring sets made up a few years back and may still have some of them spare (message me rather than discussing supply here though).

Check the thread that Brian pointed you towards in post #5 of this topic... 

... as there is some good throttle spring information contained therein. 

• 2 weeks later...