I really dislike winter weather

Don Coatney

Kind of embarrassing but yesterday at work they shut down the County offices at noon. To their defense, we don't salt the roads and there was freezing rain. I stayed  until 5p to get closer to "caught up". :D

IMG_0126.JPG

Outside temperature here today is -5 F . Indoors our wood stove is helping to keep things toasty warm.:)

Wood Stove.JPG

• Like 6

When I was 5 - 11 years old it was my job to keep the corn cob box full, great fuel and free. They were great cooking stoves better than their replacements, but the convenience of immediate heat won out very quickly. The housewives all said, bread baked on these was far superior to their replacement. 

old corn cobs found many uses about the farm from the outhouse jokes to such uses as fuel, bottle/jug stoppers. plugging holes from relocated gas or  water lines and right on down to a number of toys.  They also are great for burying below a plant mound to hold and retain water to support plant growth.  An old corn cob held right is an invaluable asset to shell other cobs of corn. 

I had made and smoke a many of corncob pipes growing in in the country.  NIce corncob, reamed and heat seared with a rod..grapevine stem.  The secret to a good corncob pipe was the small pebble wedged into the bottom to prevent burnout of the pith while enjoying your favorite smoking media be it cornsilk, rabbit tobacco or burley stolen from the barn and if green, heat cure in the ole cast iron pan...my mama knew what we kids were up to in the line shack and the shack was out of view from the entrance to the home place...she would sneak out the back door and run down to the shack and tell us to put everything out and hide it as an adult (one of our parents)  was now on the property.

• Like 2

unusual for us, but we received  a few inches of snow last couple days

snow day.jpgsnow day (1).jpgsnow day (2).jpg

one of my favorite things to do is watch the chickens react to the snow and throw snow balls at the cows :D

• Like 4

That "polar vortex" that rolled across the north passed over us yesterday.  -12 when I went to work with -38 wind chill.  High for the day was 3 (woo-hoo!).  -9 right now, but no wind.  Even the locals grudgingly admit that is "cold".  Its the wind that gets ya.  You'uns in Alaska and our Canadian neighbors probably scoff at those temperatures and maybe put on a sweater.  I rather enjoy it, and just go with the punches, only detriment to this weather is that my man-cave isn't heated yet. 

My man cave is attached to the house and to heat it (now that it is insulated fully) I simply open the door to the house,  I actually plugged in a little electric heater yesterday though cuz it got down to 28 degrees.

That's very cold for these parts.

When I retired 10 years ago, I moved to the Olympic Peninsula of Washington to escape the wide temperature swings of the midwest.  Well, after living in an area where the temparature only varied between 20F to 80F, I found that I really missed the  4 seasons so I moved back to the midwest.  I like winter as much as the other seasons, I like the challenge and I like the quiet.  When it gets cold I just follow my Dog's leadDSCN1643 (800x600).jpg

• Like 3

last weekend tailgating for the Vikings game it was -15° when I left the shop, windchills of -28°...beer freezes quickly at that temp.  We tailgated for a half hour hit the bar for awhile, then the lot again for 30 mins and into the warm stadium for a horrible game.  

meanwhile you car guys may have not seen the nice snow we got around that time...

2016-12-17 09.54.25.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

5900b6231c171_2017001.JPG.1474cab4463e48a825ded0c3d65701ca.JPG

ok mother nature....WE GET IT!

heard on the news last night it has rained in the PNW, 7 out of every 10 days since October 2016!

I can honestly say I am getting tired of "gray" 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When temps in western Nebraska went -5 Dad would place his lit trouble light above the battery to keep it warm, even though the tractor/loader was in a tight shop.  Battery always worked, tractor always started. A new spare  battery airways on the work bench.  When 400+ cows with calves need feeding, that tractor must start every morning. Regular routine was make certain the cattle water tank heaters were working then get the tractor and start feeding. We seldom looked at the temp gauge, but the barometer by the kitchen table was checked often and the hand needle marker reset each time.