I really dislike winter weather

Don Coatney

drop your Dodge and Plymouth by my place..the salt on the road where you are at and the salt in the air for you destination not  to mention any storm surge, will not do the vehicles any justice...I am not going to mention the fact I told you to stay put in Tennessee....nope just won't make that comment...go West young man..

We are having our first snow as I write this(probably the same one Don is experiencing). I have always hated winter, even as a child I never wanted to go outside when it was cold. How the "bleep" I have continued to live here all my life is an enigma to me(other than natural stupidity)

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

I'll be spending the winter here in southern Alberta - snowed here today as well. I kinda chuckled reading this, It brought to mind a few lines from the Clint Eastwood movie, Honkytonk Man.When there was a delay because of car trouble, the old boy in the movie said something to the effect ..."no sense me staying around here,if I take a bus I could be in Murfreesboro..";)

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

I went to Cuba 3 weeks ago... it was very nice and warm...

Wanna go back as long as I never see a MacDonalds or any other types of that trash there.

Now who knows what will happen....

Trinidad Cuba Caribbean.JPG

• Like 2

Yep... four of them from the real deal factory out in the country side. 

Fifty bucks worth!!!

I'll probably throw up smokin em.:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Looks nice. Cuba is confusing.

With recent relaxation of the regulations to obtain required licenses for travel to Cuba, Apple Vacations can now sell tour programs to Cuba under one of the twelve pre-approved travel categories licensed by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) of the U.S. Department of Treasury. Apple Vacations' tours are classified as "Educational Activities" known as "People-to-People". These itineraries are designed to give vacationers the opportunity to immerse themselves in Cuban culture, and to interact & engage with the people of Cuba.

The Apple Vacations Cuba travel program
is not a beach-style vacation! As per U.S. licensing requirements, the itineraries are full-time programs with scheduled tours & activities. There will be little free time on most days, except on some evenings when dinner is not included.

My wife reminded me that it isn’t winters, per se, that we both dislike, we can handle the cold by just not going out unless we have to. What we both don’t like most about winter is the snow. If we never see snow again, our lives would be perfect.

Now, as to the Cuban cigars – I smoked one many, many years ago (in the late eighties). I friend of mine got some from a friend of his who purchased them in Canada. I managed to smoke about half of it, and man was I woozy. I also had a trophy-class headache. It was a Friday, so I left the office early, and went home. Why I didn’t toss out the cigar on the way home is still a mystery to both of us. Anyway, the next afternoon, I got this great idea – I’d smoke the remainder of that cigar. Bad idea! I only smoked about half of what was left, started to get woozy again, so I threw it where it belonged – in the toilet. It was, without any doubt, the strongest cigar I’ve ever smoked. And, in all of the years I smoked cigars, it’s the only one that ever made me sick. Now, since my MI a few years ago, all I can do about cigars is reminisce.

Regards, Thx.

temperature unknown....but if film in a 35mm camera shattering is an indicator...I have been there... Mt. Kofel after recent heavy snowfall Oct. 28, 1974 

quit smoking in April same year.....the surgeon general said it was not good for you....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I was working at a job that took me to Sachs Harbour in the Canadian Arctic in 1976. I had my camera buried in my parka, removed it and took this photo. My film also broke, but I was able to save a couple of the shots. The bears were hunted by local Inuit residents. I had the opportunity to taste some of the meat, all I can say is, it would be an acquired taste .

Sachs Harbour,Banks Island (1976).jpg

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

anything that eats seals or eating seals is an aquired taste.   That traveling chef that says that he will eat anything once, came up here and tried different native seal and whale dishes.  He couldn't get past the first bite.  I couldn't get past the first smell.

Edited by casper50
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, rb1949 said:

Looks nice. Cuba is confusing.

With recent relaxation of the regulations to obtain required licenses for travel to Cuba, Apple Vacations can now sell tour programs to Cuba under one of the twelve pre-approved travel categories licensed by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) of the U.S. Department of Treasury. Apple Vacations' tours are classified as "Educational Activities" known as "People-to-People". These itineraries are designed to give vacationers the opportunity to immerse themselves in Cuban culture, and to interact & engage with the people of Cuba.

The Apple Vacations Cuba travel program
is not a beach-style vacation! As per U.S. licensing requirements, the itineraries are full-time programs with scheduled tours & activities. There will be little free time on most days, except on some evenings when dinner is not included.

What you show is true. 

Apple Vacations is a tour group we read about and did not like.

From the US you cannot just fly to Cuba and have fun freely. You do have to go with a legit tour group and travel with the group according to what tour you signed up for.

We picked the Western Culture Tour.

They ( tour groups recommendations) have a big list of what you will see and should do....but soon realized we were free to go out on our own as long as we kept in contact with the tour group leader so they knew where we were..We ( and 5 others) did stay with the group for most site visits. Our group was 16 people and we all were like a close family after a couple days.

Being on the Playa Ancon beach for 2 days is what we did because we were free to leave the tour group at times to do what we wanted to do.

Yes you can "hang" on the beach in Cuba.

Ach!...manage expectations!  Returned to just under 2 ft of snow, 20 degrees, and "brisk" nor'easterly winds today, with more on the way Monday.  You just have to do more during the winter than stand looking out the window and wish it was summer.  We lived in 360 days of sunshine and 90+ straight days of 100+ degree weather long enough.  Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the southwest immensely, but I really like four seasons and all that Mother Nature packs into them. (Except the bugs, nasty little things...)

this morning...not super cold but at 32 degrees and predicted in the 20's tomorrow...fired up the big hydronic heat system for the first time....aquastat controlled the water temp...house thermostat cycling nicely....nice and toasty.  Did a slight mod to the shell of the unit...I did not think there was adequate air exchange for the furnace blower so added two stainless steel wire mesh grilles I fabbed up right quick...only thing that is not automatic controlled is loading the firewood int he box...

I moved to Clovis CA, where it almost never snows. In 40 years it has snowed about 3 times, and once it actually lasted a half day before melting.

Having chopped ice and shoveled heavy snow in Washington, New York, Minnesota, and Utah, I feel like I've done enough of that in this life.

I have 6 sets of various tire chains, but they've been in a box since 1975.

Unless the Ice Age starts soon, they're gonna stay there.