Got lucky

knuckleharley

Had a guy call me today that is parting out a 49 DeSoto he used to drive,and asked me if I wanted the engine. He had just sold the body to someone else and needed to pull the engine anyhow. Supposedly a good engine that didn't smoke or burn oil,and ran quietly. The car was a very solid old car with no rust out or cracked glass,new upholstery,and decent chrome. It had a cheap shiny paint job over the original paint,but was pretty damn presentable from 10 feet away. It even had a new battery and had been detailed under the hood.

He bought the car because he wanted the grille to put in his 49 Dodge with the chopped top. Once he took the grille out nobody else wanted to buy the car,so he is parting it out. He knows I need a flat 6 for my 33 Dodge 4dr sedan,so he called me to ask if I wanted the engine. When I told him I did and asked him how much he wanted for it,he told me 250 bucks. To top it off,he is only about 25 miles away. I will be picking it up tomorrow.

BTW,the guy he sold the body to only wanted it for patch panels,so I suspect this guy will have other 49 DeSoto parts for sale. IIRC,the radiator looked to be in great shape,and so did the bumpers and other trim pieces. The dashboard looked pretty nice,too.

If  any of you are looking for parts I will try to find out what he has and put you in touch with him.

2 minutes ago, Bingster said:

Was it an early '49 Desoto that had the same design as the '46-'48 or the new model?

Beats me. What's the difference, when was the change made,and why?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2016 at 9:23 PM, Bingster said:

I've heard that the early 1949 S-11's were the same as the '48's till the new models came out later in the year. 

Do you have any idea of the differences between the early and the late 49's,including the serial number where the change occurred?

P15s were produced till late February or early March of 1949.  The newer body style 49 production started shortly thereafter when the assembly area was configured to the new vehicle.  Don't know about DeSoto's situation.  Wikipedia says the body change over happened in the second half of 1949, the carry over for the "first series".

1 hour ago, greg g said:

P15s were produced till late February or early March of 1949.  The newer body style 49 production started shortly thereafter when the assembly area was configured to the new vehicle.  Don't know about DeSoto's situation.  Wikipedia says the body change over happened in the second half of 1949, the carry over for the "first series".

Thanks Greg,but I'm not concerned with anything other than engine changes in late 49 DeSoto engines,as compared to the early 49 DeSoto engines. I just bought a good running 49 DeSoto engine,and need to know if there is anything special I should look at when buying parts or trying to repair it. Someone said the early and late 49 251 cubic inch engines were different,and I'm trying to find out how and which one I have.

49 Desoto engine.  This according to the Don Butler book. The Desoto 6 cylinder L-Head engine was continued from the former series which was the 1948 model, but given a new cyloinder head providing 7 to 1 compression ratio. the bore and stroke of 3 7/16 x 4 1/4 inches was unchanged but refinements upped hp from 109 to 112. Chrysler informed the market and dealers that any car produced after dec1 1948 when then the 1949 models The 49 would be indicated as the S13 so I woud think that the engine serial number then would have the S11 indicator and the older engine would have the S11 prefix

In another book it states that cares produced from 12/1/48 to march1 49 were first series and then after that date 2nd series.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

4 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

49 Desoto engine.  This according to the Don Butler book. The Desoto 6 cylinder L-Head engine was continued from the former series which was the 1948 model, but given a new cyloinder head providing 7 to 1 compression ratio. the bore and stroke of 3 7/16 x 4 1/4 inches was unchanged but refinements upped hp from 109 to 112. Chrysler informed the market and dealers that any car produced after dec1 1948 when then the 1949 models The 49 would be indicated as the S13 so I woud think that the engine serial number then would have the S11 indicator and the older engine would have the S11 prefix

In another book it states that cares produced from 12/1/48 to march1 49 were first series and then after that date 2nd series.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

RATS! The engine I bought is a 236,not a 251. DeSoto didn't bet the 251 until 1951

31 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks,Rich.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2016 at 8:51 PM, DJ194950 said:

This is a great chart for comparing engines.  Too bad it doesn't include the length of the block.  

Dave