Vacuum wipers

JPP

Ok so as I announced the other day my B2B has fired up for the first time. Things looking good  oil at 80 psi, idles nice. So I tried the wipers. How do the work?  I am used to my '29 ford with a hand crank. So I turn the knob which is centered to the right and the wipers go to the right. Then stop. I turn to the left. They go to the left then stop. Is this normal. If so not much of an upgrade from '29, ha ha. 

You say it is vacuum. There are 1) tutorials on how to clean/rebuild the motor. 2) places that rebuild certain makes of vacuum motors. 3) for some models an electric motor replacement is available ($$$). Good luck.

Sounds like the valve is sticky in the vacuum motor. It should continue to wipe back and forth without input from the control knob. I've not messed with vacuum wiper motors much but I did get one working fairly well by misting some light oil, like air tool oil, into the vent while connected to a vacuum pump. Eventually the oil worked through the system and it started working. Then I switched to an electric motor that I got from a parts truck.

Merle

Try this, Remove the vacuum hose from the intake manifold and elevate the open end above the wiper motor (higher than the lower edge of the windshield). While holding it above the wiper motor squirt a bunch of light oil such as 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil into the open line. While still holding the line higher than the wiper motor use your other hand to manually swipe the wipers back and forth several times. This should suck the lubricant into the wiper motor. Once this is done reconnect the line to the manifold and give it another try. This might or might not work but it will cost nothing to try it. 

I suggest to everyone here to have on hand in their shop for general lube of items such as this among with other things including lubing of instruments a bottle of 10 weight oil.  Easily found in places like Walmart and Harbor Freight in the guise of air tool lube.  It is dollar for dollar about the best bang for the buck...I keep it on hand in various locations in my shop, the drill press, vice where I do most of my tapping, the cut off saw and such.  Excellent oil for thinning grease as it will not evap off and leave the grease dried out and thick in those applications where you wish a bit thinner grease.   Added note on tap lubricant, if tapping aluminum, fill the cut lands by dragging across a bar of hand soap...feel the difference it makes...

• Like 2

I've always wondered if one of those electric vacuum pumps from a ford diesel would power the vacuum wipers and avoid slow wipers while going uphill. Might be easier than converting the wipers to electric on some models. Of course this would require a 12v conversion. Has anyone ever done this?

Scott.

Merle, you nailed it. I dumped some marvel mystery oil into vacuum tube, let it work for a couple hours, man the wipers fly. Now I noticed on arm is broken. Any help with replacement?  Thanks again all, Motor runs, wipers run, next is to refit fenders.