V8 swap inner fenders modifications

cybermca

i did a test fit on my front clip around the newly installed 318 v8 before i paint it.     it seems i will need to make some modifications to the inner fenders or remove a bunch of sheet metal to clear the exhaust manifolds.  does anyone one have pictures of what they did on their swap?

IMG_0365.JPG

it is hard to just say do this and do that to a inner fender on an upgrade.   One never knows your particular routing of wires, exhaust, if you did upgrade to steering, where is your battery..are you running an engine controller with the upgrade.  where did you  place the horns, do you have a overflow reservoir and where is that mounted.  Did you install a windshield washer tank/pump assembly.  Did you hang swing pedal and if so do you have a brake booster/master in the area.  Are you upgrading to AC  and if so where are your components like the receiver dryer and input to your evaporator.  Things as simple a shock relocation and possible disc brake lines come into play.   List goes on and on...to say it easiest...what do you need for clearance and where and make it happen is the best advice anyone can truly give you.  No two or my inner fenders are anywhere close to the other as different combinations of components were used in each build.

Surprise I had when the 350 was all installed was there wasnt any room for the battery.  They do make a high power small battery which fit nicely where the old one went.  Opposite side I had to cutout a small piece of the splash panel to clear the manifold.  .. Guess the story is that you just have to make it fit..Of corse a 350 isnt a 318...A friend put an old Desoto hemi in his 48 Plymouth and just left out the fender panels.  Seemed that the heads were under the fenders... LOL

Edited by dale
Added to it..

for one the manifolds appear to be dead on the inner fender...now sure how you like to handle heat and engine rise on torque and PS pump, alternator and any other peripherals is not yet in place...neither is the fan and while fan is not a inner fender related on the average..the front cross member is ALWAYS in play as is routing the upper and lower hoses....yes step one  is to locate the power plant...the tweaks that come later to make it all look correct is not slam bang work...

now you are on the right track..custom cutting and fitting per your personal situation with the new engine install.  It is often a few in and outs with the panel to test your cuts for clearance...then stated simply weld new metal to fill the voids.  Nothing hard of mysterious about the process...just often a bit of time to finesse the panels.  I only will state that to be sure to have your components installed and at max adjustment stretch, you do not need the belts to accomplish this as you setting max extensions....battery install on the front left fender shelf can be angled and inset into the fender for room and if you tuck the battery in with the corner without the post is buried, there is no fear of shorting and you can still service the terminals.  I did similar to the install of the 51 Suburban.  Be careful of the fender to rad support bracket..may require a tad of modification itself.

• 3 weeks later...