D24 Original Tires Manufacturer

Conn47D24

Goodyear Super Cushion tires for 1946-8 chrysler.

• Like 1

Original tyres are bias or as I call them cross plies...........radials whilst available in Europe from the 1950's or early 60's were not common till the late 60's..........if you want to drive the car then I'd put radials on it but that's just my opinion..........when I bought the 41 Plymouth coupe it had crossplies, I'd forgotten how bad they could be, I put a set of Wheel Vintique Chrome Smoothies and Coker Classic Radials, 15x6 & 15 x7, 195/65x15 and 235/65x15 tyres and transformed the car.......steered, braked & handled better and just a more civilised way to go, no more wandering, just a great improvement......but.......yep the tyres didn't look original, but it also wasn't 1941 again either..........and you can get radials to suit 16" rims, try Coker and there are others as well, you might find that using a set of original mopar 15" rims from 1948/49 to the mid/late 50's  may give you a better choice of tyre yet allow stock style hubcaps, etc which I wasn't concerned about..........my 2 cents worth.......andyd    

IMG_1395.JPG

Edited by Andydodge
  • Like 2

My 2 cents on the bias ply tires, last set I owned were on a Datsun pickup, they were a 6 ply light truck.

Those tires would get a flat spot in them from sitting over night. I would have to drive about 3 miles to warm up the tires and get rid of the egg shape.

I do not know if the effect would be the same as a 4 ply passenger car tire, seems that it would but you may not notice it as bad.

First morning I noticed, I pulled to the side of the road and did a quick inspection, looking for a problem. Then after a couple days I figured out what it was, just became a annoyance.

If I wanted it period correct and possible a judge would be grading it, probably want the bias ply.

For a driver, would not even consider bias ply. For all the same reasons Andy listed.

• Like 2

I have a fleet of these old cars i run nothing but Bias ply tires  in 1980 i bought the last set of bias ply tires the local Western Auto had i put them on my 1946 Nash and drove it for years . i then ran them on my 1952 Dodge Wayfarer coupe for another bunch of years , when i sold it i keep the wheels and tires put them on a 1950 Dodge for a few years and now they rest under my 1949 Dodge Wayfarer Convertible , in 37 years never had a flat best set of tires i have ever owned !

• Like 2

I'm a fan of bias ply tyres on these cars and have run them on my P15 Plymouths for more than 15 years.
I ran my first Plymouth with radials for a while but the steering was heavy. When I swapped over to bias plys it was a revelation... the car handled just as it should.
If you have any chance to drive friends' cars, I'd recommend that you check out how the options feel before you buy your own set.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

The tires that got a flat spot over night were probably nylon tires.  They were notorious for that.

My father had a 1955 Dodge Regent with nylon tires and you really noticed the flat spots in winter.  After sitting over night in Winter (-40 F/C) you would go bouncing down the road for a mile or two as the tires warmed up and went back to being round.  Whenever you saw a vehicle driving down the road with the passengers bouncing up and down in their seats you knew the car had nylon tires.

Agree wholeheartedly with the Alaska comment. Beautiful country, but just tooooo cold for me.

We’ve got radial ply tires on our ’46 Plymouth club coupe – 205/75Rx15’s on the back, and 185/75Rx15’s on the front. We had 205/75Rx15’s on the front, but it was abit hard to turn at lower speeds, but the narrower front tires (which are about the same dimensions as the original sized biased ply tires) made a world of difference. While it isn’t like power steering, you’ve got to remember that little old ladies drove these cars when they were contemporary cars, and they did OK. Keep in mind, technology advances, and it has with tires. For judged car shows, a bias ply tire is the only way to go, but for driving, the same has to be said for the radial ply tire, it’s the only way to go.

Thx.