Predicting Classics

rb1949

We're here with 50-60-70 year old cars. Some are just old, some considered classics, and some in the category of collectible. All are enjoyed. Any preference to your needs, seeking out something that may be more preferred than another? The old car market is changing under the new generations.There are cars from the 50's, 60's and 70's that have become desirable. How do you know which ones at the time? So lets jump ahead to today, with personal speculation. Are there any modern cars that you feel may be in a "most wanted" category 50-60 years from now? Will your future great-grandkid be bragging that his dad actually owns a 2016 Charger (or whatever)? Will there even be gasoline powered cars? We can't predict the future, but can have fun thinking about it.

50's steel body suburbans / station wagons are popular here on the left cost. I have three Plymouth Suburban bodies, fixing up one and using the other two for parts. But I am NOT defacing the bodies.  

Back in the late 1970's, I predicted that '68-'69 Ford Fairlanes and Torinos would probably go up in value and were inexpensive at the time.  I was correct.  

A former friend of mine decided that Oldsmobile Cutlass Cieras would be a hot item, bought dozens of them from salvage auctions, and is now patiently waiting for the market to take off.

Newer cars are viewed as appliances and don't have the 'personality' that would endear themselves to future collectors.  There are also too many 'black boxes'In newer cars that won't lend themselves to restoration as we know it.  In my opinion, the collectible cars of the future will probably be high end luxury cars and performance models.

• 1 month later...

I think to be collectable in the future it would really have to stand out from day one. Like a Hellcat or something like it. The GT 40's are a good example, they've been going up for a while.

most any limited aftermarket conversions or NUMBERED series of cars such as the Saleen will have a following and immediate head start on collective status ...I also feel the Hellcat anything will have a following.  At this time many of them are finding their way up against immovable objects such as trees or larger man made structures or sadly in a number of local cases...another family car in a road race gone wrong...

• Like 1

The definition of "Classic" is critical for a more accurate answer. From PA's answer, his definition is not my definition. I'm not saying he is right nor wrong, only that it is different than mine. 

Maybe not considered collectible at this time, but a fox body Mustang equipped  with the 5L engine  is worth considering. They are plentiful, affordable, parts are reasonable and they are fun to drive. I bought my Mercury Capri RS new in 1986  and it still puts a smile on my face when I take it out on the highway.

4 hours ago, Ralph D25cpe said:

Maybe not considered collectible at this time, but a fox body Mustang equipped  with the 5L engine  is worth considering. They are plentiful, affordable, parts are reasonable and they are fun to drive. I bought my Mercury Capri RS new in 1986  and it still puts a smile on my face when I take it out on the highway.

These cars are quickly dwindling and have been for some time in our area due to as Tim mentioned above, trees, man made immoveable objects but also young drivers. These cars were quick and light, respond well to performance parts and tuning.  A wet road and a young driver has wiped alot of these cars out.  

• Like 1

Definitely not a car for winter driving. Mine is parked in the shop for the winter...As to the comment about numbers dwindling, just have to check out some of the videos posted on youtube to see how they're being abused, for example smoke shows and the like. I have nothing against racing with a properly equipped vehicle on the track, it's an enjoyable sport both for spectators and participants.

I wonder what the generations to come will find collectable in cars and other things. My mom passed away last summer and we sold a lot of her estate to an antique dealer. He was saying the younger generations don't seem to be into collecting or yet anyway. He said you could pick what collectables would appeal to which age group. He said he thought collectables and antiques would take a big hit as the baby boomer generation passed on. 

Future generations IMO won't be into "collecting" anything much.  Millennials don't seem to really even to want to own homes generally, much less an old vehicle.  I think the peak in the sport will soon hit (if it hasn't already) and you will start to see a decline in interest/prices.  My nephews (slated for my trucks) aren't even that interested in FEF, even with the family history, as there is no direct connection.  More about what can it do for me NOW and throw it away soon after.  My parents, mom specifically, collected lots of things that she paid dearly for but no one wants to buy when they need to find a new home. 

• Like 2

I always like the full sized Chevrolet Caprices in the late 70's and the downsized ones also,  to me the downsized full sized Chevrolets were a great looking car, plus I also liked the early '80's full sized Pontiacs

To me that last full sized Ford that had good styling was the 1967

My thoughts

On 1/1/2017 at 4:18 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

At this time many of them are finding their way up against immovable objects such as trees or larger man made structures or sadly in a number of local cases. 

This is why you don't see a lot of GTOs and 442s.  If you factor in rust, I'm surprised any of them are left.

a lot of these cars get a rebirth in later years due to folks who were around when they were introduced now have raised their family and got a bit of time and money to put toward something they had always admired or dreamed of owning..the even sadder part to all this is that these guys are now entering into their golden years, down sizing and such and the market for these same cars is not that good as the folks that now in their same shoes some as these older gents some 20 years ago now are looking at the cars that are some 20 years newer as that is what they grew up with...it is a shifting hobby...

I find it interesting that a good proportion of the young'uns (20s-30s) I talk to about the old car hobby and general collectability are still in tune with the same stuff we all consider classics and collectibles.  Not so much prewar stuff or late 40s, but definitely 50s, 60s, and some 70s, and maybe lean a bit more to the muscle cars, but it's refreshing that they see the same thing "we" do.  I think the dearth of modern cars available, the similarities (all General Motors, Ford, Chrysler Fiat, Toyota, Nissan, etc. products look the same except for badging and what not), the difficulties in fixing them yourself, are a turn off for "collectability" of new cars to young folks.  Unique car lines, such as Mercedes Benz, BMW, and unique models, like Jeep Wrangler, Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, etc. get the young folks attention.   

Edited by Dan Hiebert

I think it is important to share our hobby with kids whenever possible. At shows I make a special effort with any that show an interest in my vehicals. Let them sit in it, blow the horn, touch anything as long as it is safe. Fuel their interest. You never know what might provide that spark. 

I got my younger son and I a project when he was 13 for us to spend time together before getting a drivers license, girls and collage made him scarce around the house. Every moment we spent on that car was a time to talk and share. He did get the other distractions and graduated collage with an accounting degree. However, today at 29 he works for an auction company that specializes in antique tractors. Loves it is successful and now has not only a few old iron tractors but pre 70 car as well.  Not long ago over a glass of good whiskey he thanked me for letting him work on our project car. 

If you look back over my postings you will find photos of my granddaughter helping me turn wrenches on my Windsor. Start them young and let them get their hands dirty. 

Edited by White Spyder
  • Like 5

Both of my sons appreciate older cars, mostly because when they got old enough to drive, that's all they could afford.  That's also what happened to me. 

Now they both have old, and older cars that they repair and improve for enjoyment, which really is wee are all doing.

Unfortunately, none of my grandchildren live anywhere near me, and my influence is limited, but then, that's their parents responsibility, not mine.