Heater Hoses

pflaming

I will install a heater in my B3B this week. Getting cool here in Calif. I do NOT like the aesthetics of the heater hoses in the engine compartment. Are there any other options, like PVC pipe or is the flexing of the engine verses the body what demands the flexibility of hoses?  Was in the East Bay area this weekend, I have never seen so much traffic on I-5 coming south or on HWY 99 south. At times we had near stop and go traffic, all lanes FULL. 

On the 5.9 Cummins, they run steel tube along the engine block so the heater hoses stay clear of the turbocharger...I do not recommend PVC in the engine compartment, vibrations may cause problems... I recall seeing a flathead where they used  a short heater hose off of the heater, brass barbed 90 to turn the hoses to the block, the another 90 at the head connection to route a hose along the block with conduit clamps under the head bolts towards the water pump...it cost a few $$$ but really cleaned up that part of the engine compartment :cool:

• Like 1

Since you asked, I'd do it original and keep it simple and go with the hoses.  These are 60 yr old vehicles, why risk a breakdown on the side of the road for aesthetics?  Just my opinion.  It your truck.  Mike

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MBFowler said:

Since you asked, I'd do it original and keep it simple and go with the hoses.  These are 60 yr old vehicles, why risk a breakdown on the side of the road for aesthetics?  Just my opinion.  It your truck.  Mike

FYI what I posted is original to cars with dual heaters. 

Why not get some copper solid lines with just enough rubber hose to give needed flex.

They could be polished and hi-temp cleared to give you some Bling!

Goes good with Patina outside! ^_^

DJ

9 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Why not get some copper solid lines with just enough rubber hose to give needed flex.

They could be polished and hi-temp cleared to give you some Bling!

Goes good with Patina outside! ^_^

DJ

Which pipe is copper and which isn't?

IMAG0178.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

nice photo Ed....as my D24 TSS has similar..I snagged a copy for prosperity....

Those pipes(minus the copper replacement) came off the D24 I snagged that black knob off of for you. 

dual heaters was fairly common accessory to the TSS....they were optioned quite well on delivery, would bet in your neck of the woods will be an welcome addition to any car.  My car did not winter in its home state of Indiana as I was told,,,,the corn was harvested and the car packed for the south west for the winter. 

4 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

dual heaters was fairly common accessory to the TSS....they were optioned quite well on delivery, would bet in your neck of the woods will be an welcome addition to any car.  My car did not winter in its home state of Indiana as I was told,,,,the corn was harvested and the car packed for the south west for the winter. 

My car has them but hasn't seen a MN winter. Was sold new in Wyoming and bought out of a junkyard 1 town over to come to MN.