Leaky Grease Fitting

Ralph Pearce

You might not even need axle shaft wear Speedi-Sleeves if the axle shaft seal surface is undamaged..

Shown are some misc inner axle shaft and seal pics...No outer grease seal pics

Rear Axle C39 Blake's Rebuild (4).JPG

Rear Axle C39 Blake's Rebuild (19) (Large).JPG

Rear Axle C39 Blake's Rebuild (14) (Large).JPG

Rear Axle C39 Blake's Rebuild (Large).JPG

C39 BN Rear Axle Shaft to Inner Seal Clearance.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 3

Many thanks to all you guys for your helpful input. I have the seals and slide hammer on order, and will be taking this project on early January. I'll will return to this thread to post my results.

Look forward to hearing about the results. I know a lot of people on the forum appreciate knowing how things turned out. A lot of posters get the information they need and are not heard from again. Good luck with the project.

Inner seals can be tough to remove. Sometimes the slide hammer just tears them without removing. It can be a process as I know from experience.

14 hours ago, RobertKB said:

Look forward to hearing about the results. I know a lot of people on the forum appreciate knowing how things turned out. A lot of posters get the information they need and are not heard from again. Good luck with the project.

Inner seals can be tough to remove. Sometimes the slide hammer just tears them without removing. It can be a process as I know from experience.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've posted a number of 'assistance needed' requests over the years and I believe I've always followed-up on them and indicated "best answer" (not seeing that option with our new format).  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's a follow-up report:  Since replacing the leaky grease fitting at the axle end (with plug) over a month ago, I've had no further dripping. This is despite the fact that I'd found some minor leaking from the wheel bearing seal. I have purchased fresh inner and outer seals, a slide hammer (with hooks), and will continue to monitor and replace the seals when/if necessary.  Btw, I checked the axle fluid level when under there, and it was fine.   

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

FINAL:  With the warmer weather, I began experiencing some minor leaking. I took the inner/outer seals and axle bearings to a local shop to do the job (4 hours) with no issues (axles in good shape).

• Like 3