Parking Brake

meadowbrook

Hi, I am tired of forgetting my  parking brake on and frying it. 

Does anyone know of a good source of new  parking brake bands ?  I plan on setting up a buzzer to come on till I release it.

A more visible parking brake light would help.  My DeSoto had one of the turn signal indicators wired to be on when the parking brake is on.  I added a light to shine under the dash to alert me of the brake-on condition, instead of the turn signal indicator.  Not good enough.  So I incorporated the light into an auxiliary panel.  Very visible now. 

auxiliary dash board panel (9).JPG

• Like 1

I really think only the left side map light should blink with the E-brake on:)

Both could blink if the wrong bulb is installed on the left side map light socket.

Doesn't matter if both blink though.... might be a waste of electricity and not being Eco friendly!!!!

There is a switch which fits under the mounting studs for the brake handle and is found on many 49 and 50 Chryslers and it was an option for all others.  It is wired to the map light on the Chrysler but can be wired to any suitable pilot light. It draws power from the signal flasher and will flash the  light faster.... like a signal with a bulb burned out........  if you pull the signal lever down while the brake light is flashing, then the signals will flash in unison with the warning light.  Simple but very effective.  

Edited by dpollo
word correction

The E-brake switch....

Barbeee Blake Windsor and NY 3 Pass cpe Dash Trunk mat Wiring  (3).JPG

• Like 2

Just saw a similar switch on eBay 

i like the turn signal idea because mine is very bright, to the point it's distracting at night...I guess I never forget it on then. I still will wire in a buzzer. 

Yup, my '49 is wired to blink map lite, but doesn't work at the moment. Lamp OK, never checked the switch. 1/2 dumb as it's useless in daytime.

You didn't provide clues to year, make, model, tranny for your needs.

Edited by rb1949

My 41 came with with the buzzer. The sound is so annoying that it has me trained to disengage the parking brake before I turn on the ignition. Seems to work as intended.

29 minutes ago, 1949 Goat said:

My 41 came with with the buzzer. The sound is so annoying that it has me trained to disengage the parking brake before I turn on the ignition. Seems to work as intended.

forgetting to release and replacing it over a period of time will have the same learning effect...well, at least we hope it will

23 hours ago, rb1949 said:

Yup, my '49 is wired to blink map lite, but doesn't work at the moment. Lamp OK, never checked the switch. 1/2 dumb as it's useless in daytime.

You didn't provide clues to year, make, model, tranny for your needs.

My Project Cars:1950 Dodge Meadowbrook
1965 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
197? Triumph Spit6 ('78 Spitfire body on a '73 GT6 chassis)

From the OP's stable choices, I would suspect the inquiry to be for the Dodge.

you can wire this into the circuit...if you cannot hear this...then I would suggest a hand grenade as your next option....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SC616NL-MALLORY-SONALERT-CONTINUOUS-TONE-ALARM-BUZZER-WIRE-TERMINATION-/121267048839?hash=item1c3c145187:g:llQAAMXQVERS7IXN

Has been suggested in other threads that any brake shop the relines shoes can probably do the band as well.

Just have to watch that they do not do you a favor as they did with me by providing oversize (thicker) linings that had to be sanded to fit in the drums.

DSCF9855.JPG

Edited by _shel_ny
add do not