Correct way to crank a motor ?

Angel4951

I think I have a seased motor. How do I crank it over. It looked like it has been damaged . Does anyone know the Correct way to crank it from the motor. I put in a starter and it wasnt cranking over I think it could be stuck or ill have the starter checked for enough power. Looking at these picks it looks like a socket .i tried 1 1/2 and it didnt work. is it a specialy size socket or am I cranking it wrong.  is mine too damaged.?? 

IMG_20161117_184718.jpg

IMG_20161117_184726.jpg

It sounds to me if your pistons / piston rings are stuck. Try the search function and put in "piston stuck".  There are some topics that might help you. Also I recommend to crank the motor by hand.  You have a better feeling how much force is needed to crank it. Maybe it only stucks and nothing is really damaged up to now... Try  to crank it with a starter could damage the starter itself,  should the motor not start to turn over. 

I was browsing and found your post for information about the water fitting.  The ONLY time I found a fitting in that condition was on an engine which had had a leaky head gasket which had acidified the coolant so badly it ate up the fitting. (aluminum in this case).

This engine was badly seized because the same coolant had leaked into 4 of the 6 cylinders and jammed things up fairly well after the vehicle had been parked for awhile.    Sorry if I am the bearer of bad news  but it would not hurt to pull the head and have a look.

That's an odd crank pulley and hub... eight studs... what engine is that?

Best ways to attempt to turn over a potentially seized motor:

- remove the spark plugs and try to get some lubricant down each cylinder.

- With a fresh battery and good starter connections, use the electric starter.

- If the starter fails to move the crank, then if it's a manual transmission, put it in first gear and rock the car.

- If the above fails, try turning the crank with the proper fitting socket attached to the front bolt on the crank with a 2 or 3 foot bar. Emphasis on proper fitting.

If the above fails, the motor is likely stuck beyond a simple freeing up.

The nut in the photo shows signs of a shade-tree monkey trying to tighten or loosen the nut with a hammer and some other devise because they didn't have the proper socket. Now that it's buggered up, a proper socket won't fit well...

I did not read how long this engine has sat.

At the very least you want to remove spark plugs, and add oil and let it soak.

I bought a rebuilt motor that sat for 2 years under a work bench in rainy Seattle. It broke a ring when I installed the engine and started it without soaking the rings.

Let it soak for a few days, and with the plugs out, try to turn it by hand.

I watched youtube vid on this, guy filled the cylinders with atf, inserted a hand crank on the pulley, then hung a cement brick on the pulley to add weight, pressure on the crank.

He just let it sit and when the crank had moved itself, from the weight. Then made sure had oil and worked it back and forth by hand with the plugs out.

I would not hook a starter to it, until you have it free and spinning by hand.

• Like 2

You get way more leverage carefully using the flywheel teeth to wedge against with the bell housing on to see if the crank will even begin to turn.

This using a very large screw driver.

Hopefully once the crank will begin to turn a  large socket on the crank nut with a 3/4" drive breaker bar or ratchet will complete the job....hopefully!

• Like 1

Agree with pull the plugs and pour in your favorite anti-seize.  I used Kroil on mine, I think if you search you can find a thread I had years ago as I chased a stuck motor on my 49.  wonder with me on my findings... Mine was a #6 stuck solid with rust due to water in the cylinder.  I ended up pulling the head (really easy on a flathead) and voila my problem was plainly in front of me.  I filled the cyl with kroil (others use Kero, ATF, etc.) I eventually pulled the oil pan and pulled rods to pound the offending piston up from under the truck.  Once I got it moving, I turned the motor with socket and breaker bar (different set up than the pulley bolt in your pic) once it was moving it was easy to see I also had two stuck valves... It was a good learning experience for me, hope yours goes smooth!

Hey Angel4951, did the feedback of the forum colleagues help you to solve the issue? Any experience is welcome in case an other member has that kind of problem, too ;) Thx. 

On Thursday, December 01, 2016 at 7:50 AM, PT81Jan said:

Hey Angel4951, did the feedback of the forum colleagues help you to solve the issue? Any experience is welcome in case an other member has that kind of problem, too ;) Thx. 

None of  feedbacks helped. The person who helped the most in person was rod and paul f. I tried all the b.s. soaking mystery oil brake fluid , tranny fluid, looked like the crank lug was damaged it the pics so couldnt realy find the right size to fit it trying to use a socket to manual crank.also tried a pry bar on the starter hole but wouldnt move. The fly weel looked rusty color compaired  to my 49. I also went as far as to pull the truck with another truck on the road and had someone try to shift it in gear. What actually happed it it started to drag when the driver was trying to shift it in gear in motion about 30mph. Eventualy the rear weel fell off due to the lugnuts not being in properly and some missing. The weel went flying then rolling down the road .luckily it didnt hit anthing like a car or person .after that we had to push the truck on 3 weels and put the tire that came off back on. That was the last straw for time and effort i will put into the truck. Luckily some one made me a cash offer that weekend and i jumped on it cosidering its frozen motor that i dont have time for, was missing a raidator and alot of resteration was needed. Still got my 49 and working on it. Im gonna try and sell it for top dolar considering i am in no rush to sell it and it runs. I do appreciate all the resposes people give to help. Its just i didnt have what it takes to get her to live. The buyer is giving it to his daughter for sweet 16 after he fixes it. He has alot more resources then me and deeper pockets to fix it. So it went to a good home and he said he isnt gonna do no chopping. I was hoping someone from this site was gonna step up and take it on but it just sat in the classified section without a single offer. I tried .

Edited by Angel4951

Sounds like you had some fun!

IMO seriously frozen engines are not worth the time and effort to try to get them unstuck unless you can do it in an hour or two..then it still might have stuck rings and a valve or two. 

May as well get another good engine ...or build one up.

Sorry it didn't work out.