Stuck Exhaust valve with Pictures. Thoughts?

Kansas_Nova

I was working on the truck and getting ready to adjust the valves cold before doing it while the engine was running and warm. I was adjusting the valves because I have no compression on my number 6 cylinder on the 218 in my B2C. I figure it was valve related because all the other cylinders had great compression. I was by myself so I was not able to watch the valve as I turned the motor over but from what I gathered after turning the motor over an continually checking the valve position, it is not moving. Is there anything I can do without removing the head to try and get it unstuck? This is going to get sold relatively soon and I am not planning on getting in the engine much more than valve adjustments. It appears as if the spring has dropped down below the valve and moving closer to the tappet. Here is the only picture I have, its the far left one. let me know your thoughts. Thanks

62A0CDC6-2F5E-4461-910A-55C04325417F_zps

Nick

From what I see, the tappet is up as well.  It also needs to go up and down.  If it's not moving, the valve can't.  Some penetrant and some coaxing with wood dowel or similar when the intake valve is open may get it working again.

• Like 1

I'm always by myself it seems like working on my truck.  What you might try is take your spark plugs out and remove the cover from the bottom of your flywheel.  You can then turn the engine by hand from underneath without a lot of effort.  You can watch your cam follower position as you turn the crank by hand.  I found removing my inner fender well and crawling under the engine I access and adjust valves easier.  After you adjust your valves, you can do a cold compression test with your plugs alreasy removed.  

• Like 1

The valve keeper does appear to be down around the tappet adjuster. This would indicate that the keeper locks are missing, and if that's the case the valve never will close. Also, as Dave mentioned, it appears that the tappet if fully up. Does it not go up and down either? That should be easier to lube up and tap back down. But if the keeper is indeed not locked onto the valve stem then you'll need a good valve spring compressor to see if you can get it reconnected. And it may be necessary to pull the head so that you can hold the valve down during the process.

Merle

• Like 1

If the keeper isn't on the valve spring then shouldnt the valve spring be all the way down on the tappet? the tappet spins in it's bore which doesn't make sense to me. I will be able to watch it while somebody else turns the motor over to see if it moves at all but from the looks of it it appears that something is preventing it from cycling up and down on the cam.