Pilothouse Top Speed

gbhdrake383

9 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

Hmmmm.... I am feeling that I am doing something wrong on here. Many pictures of the trucks being driven show them being operated in sandals. They must go faster that way :P

Hahahaha I got Red Wings. Probably why it's not starting

• Like 1

Chow:   Plymouthy, time for some to get up to date, times are changing, the 'war' is over! LOL! 

Urban Dictionary: chow

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chow

chow. 1. Chinese surname. 2. Another word for bye ! 

yes and many think prolly is a short word for probably...even an out of date educator such as yourself ought to be cringing instead of rolling over to acceptance of such trash...that is the best thing about the internet...you can always find someone make the same mistakes to cover your own....just because someone wrote a special book to cover their ignorance is no reason to buy the ticket and ride...

many words today are changing due to tweets and the few number of letters allowed....texting is also abbreviating words..I can see it used in those means of media but not mainstream communication...

not picking on any one person using abbreviated words...I am sure you know it is not correct....maybe common, maybe acceptable to some degree, but that is not one and the same...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

Chow for Tim is time to eat-pull right up to the table, Not goodbye to the table or anything else.^_^

DJ

• Like 1

I fully understand the spelling and meaning of the difference words even given they may be confused by some due to the way they are sounded out.  As the older generation, we are on our way out, but I still say we should kick and scream a bit about what is right as we go.  I do not now or will ever accept the spelling of ciao to be chow regardless of those that truly are not in the know of what is or is it correct.   But I accept the fact that I am a dinosaur, I just try not to laugh out loud.

• Like 2

Thought we would have more posts on this thread, come you guys how fast are you driving these old trucks?

I did take my truck out yesterday for a drive cruising into a brutal Northwest wind and driving 65 mph, and had a lot more pedal, but low on gas. 

My speedo reads 55 mph for 65 mph, as verified by GPS, 3.23  rear gears will do this.

I did not have the GPS along, I did however make a video, but did not post it on here as there will be those demanding PROOF,  some of those have posted on this thread, not adding anything to the OPs original topic.....

17 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Thought we would have more posts on this thread, come you guys how fast are you driving these old trucks?

I did take my truck out yesterday for a drive cruising into a brutal Northwest wind and driving 65 mph, and had a lot more pedal, but low on gas. 

My speedo reads 55 mph for 65 mph, as verified by GPS, 3.23  rear gears will do this.

I did not have the GPS along, I did however make a video, but did not post it on here as there will be those demanding PROOF,  some of those have posted on this thread, not adding anything to the OPs original topic.....

Why is this so important to you? Anyone who has spent time in one of these great old trucks knows they are never going to be totally comfortable running much above the speed limits. It is outside of their true character and has nothing to do with enjoying the experience. Out of necessity mine will cruise at 65 or 70.........but it is much happier at 55. And that is with a GPS speedometer.

• Like 1

Just now, Jeff Balazs said:

Why is this so important to you? Anyone who has spent time in one of these great old trucks knows they are never going to be totally comfortable running much above the speed limits. It is outside of their true character and has nothing to do with enjoying the experience. Out of necessity mine will cruise at 65 or 70.........but it is much happier at 55. And that is with a GPS speedometer.

What's it you what interests me, is this not a free country???? I obviously am not the only person on here who has an interest in this topic, as the OP is not me.

I suggest if you don't like my posts and comments you don't have to read it and you know what to do.

BTW who said this was about "comfort zone" speeds, the title is Pilothouse Top Speed, not driving 80 mph down I 5.

Listen Jeff you are not all that happy with your speed and performance in your traffic area , and 55 mph is going to get you in deep trouble on some of your roadways.

If you cannot post a 'top speed' on this thread, what is your point and interest??????????????????

36 minutes ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Fred;

It is a free country.... And the OP does not have a running Pilothouse at this time.

So it might be a good idea to give him a realistic picture of what he has to look forward to. it is what it is. And that is with a fair amount of mods.

Jeff

Listen Jeff, I am not disagreeing with you on some key points, despite what some others may attest too.

These trucks with the right gearing, will of course cruise at speeds faster than 55 mph, but is it comfortable, and is it safe?

I would agree that my truck is quite comfortable at 55-60 mph, but on certain roadways this would not be safe and/or comfortable, I think you would agree.

The OP, he needs to understand in order to get useful highway speeds he needs to be geared correctly, and have the braking to back it up. The suspension and steering if in top shape to me is not a deal breaker, as it IMHO is not that bad at all.

PS My daily is a Ram truck with a Hemi 8 speed, but rarely am I driving at over 65 mph,but can get away with on the roadways around here. I tend to be a slower driver....

" . . . in order to get useful highway speeds he needs to be geared correctly, and have the braking to back it up. Thesuspension and steering  . . . " I agree but add that the steering  imho must be top notch. I took my spindles in to a machine shop and had them tru / correct and put in new pins. He put them in a jig to guarantee all was true. Road surfaces affect even the very best vehicles and driving accordingly is just common sense. I have a 3:73 stock 218 and very pleased at 65 crusing and 75 if in a hurry.  I seldom go 75 but do for a mile or two each trip out of town to keep the engine acquainted with those RPMS. 

so far I am only up to 35mph :) 

Rob on the road.JPG

but I have either a fuel or distributor issue I still need to resolve.... someday, who knows maybe even 45mph

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Listen Jeff, I am not disagreeing with you on some key points, despite what some others may attest too.

These trucks with the right gearing, will of course cruise at speeds faster than 55 mph, but is it comfortable, and is it safe?

I would agree that my truck is quite comfortable at 55-60 mph, but on certain roadways this would not be safe and/or comfortable, I think you would agree.

The OP, he needs to understand in order to get useful highway speeds he needs to be geared correctly, and have the braking to back it up. The suspension and steering if in top shape to me is not a deal breaker, as it IMHO is not that bad at all.

PS My daily is a Ram truck with a Hemi 8 speed, but rarely am I driving at over 65 mph,but can get away with on the roadways around here. I tend to be a slower driver....

Exactly. And it is going to vary quite a bit depending on what model and condition truck one has and how far he wants to take things. I think it is very important to thoroughly assess how one intends to use a vehicle like this before getting to deep into the process of putting it back onto the road. I don't know how many others use their trucks as their only vehicle but that is my situation. And you know what it works out just fine. But getting one of these to that point requires a lot of attention to details that are outside the stock specifications. I am sure they are fine as is to go to a few car shows a year. If you intend to drive them safely at speed in traffic like we have here then some sensible mods need to be incorporated. At the least that is my position on the topic.

Jeff

1 hour ago, _shel_ny said:

The days must be getting shorter as this site once again drifts toward acting like the  h. a. m. b.

Possibly attitude derived from profession.

Not really Shel, the HAMB  has a reputation for deleting threads, locking threads and banning people for life....

Are you referring to my "Work Profession" ? If you are, I have spent a lot of years, as do many Men and Women in your country who risk their lives to protect lives and well being of law abiding citizens.

Edited by Rockwood

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

Not really Shel, the HAMB  has a reputation for deleting threads, locking threads and banning people for life....

100% agree. I was on there and the mention of anything disagreeable people went nuts. I joined this forum and it's great. Love this place. Wealth of knowledge and information on the old Mopars we love!!!

Just now, gbhdrake383 said:

100% agree. I was on there and the mention of anything disagreeable people went nuts. I joined this forum and it's great. Love this place. Wealth of knowledge and information on the old Mopars we love!!!

Yes of course, I am not saying will all agree on here 100% of the time. But this is a far cry from the HAMB, if its not traditional or post 1964, your thread/post could be in for a rude awakening...

1 hour ago, Brent B3B said:

Rob on the road.JPG

but I have either a fuel or distributor issue I still need to resolve.... someday, who knows maybe even 45mph

got to make it up one side of the hill before you can race down the other side and see your full potential for speed...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brent B3B said:

Rob on the road.JPG

May be slow but it does look good just sitting there. Haven't seen many dualy Pilothouses

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gbhdrake383 said:

IMG_0920.JPG

yes but look at the builds they have going on there and they are blind to their own definition, pure trash built rat rods but just because they call it other than that it is ok.....knowing the secret handshake is a must....everything with a grain of salt..

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

BrentB3B said: Sorry plymouthyAdam.I have either a fuel or distributor issue I still need to resolve.... someday, who knows maybe even 45mph

No idea what issues you could be having, I was totally amazed at how rusted tight my vacuum advance was.

Just seems like one of those things one might overlook. Would run fine at lower speeds but if timing is not advancing, it would not reach higher rpm's.

For the record, think I want to replace my distributor with a newer model. The one in my 1552 has a better vacuum advance, points plate setup then the 1949.

I got mine back together, but afraid if I look at it crossways, the points plate will fall out.

Edited by Los_Control