Pilothouse Top Speed

gbhdrake383

All I really need to be totally happy with driving mine on a daily basis is to get a bit better acceleration and and incline performance out of it. The brakes I have on it and the stock suspension are just fine. It actually steers and handles much better than I ever expected. And it has been 100% reliable which is more than I can say for most of the peoples' cars and trucks around me. I am as comfortable driving it in traffic as I would be in anything else. I think most of the people I share the road with see it......and don't really want to tangle with all that steel and iron. ;)

Jeff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave72dt said:

I didn't respond at first to this post simply because it didn't fit the specifications in the OP.  I fully expect my truck to be capable of 70, 80 or more with little difficulty.  My frame is mostly original but the suspension, drivetrain and aerodynamics have all been changed.  Probably a safer truck than it was, definitely more powerful and better handling and more comfortable than it was in 1952.  Even though it should be able to match traffic flow patterns of the new cars and truck, it does nothing to prevent the tailgaters, texters, speeders, drunks, druggies or a Uhaul with an unbalanced and overloaded trailer on the road with me from doing something stupid.

It seems every time a manufacturer comes out with some kind of technology to compensate for driver's poor choices, the drivers get that much poorer.  ABS, stability control, air bags, proximitry braking.  Seattle doesn't have an exclusive on drivers that are nuts.  They're EVERYWHERE!

Well you are correct on the crazy drivers are everywhere.

When you complete your truck and it is on the road, it now is a completely different set of engineering, a lot more power, upgraded steering and suspension, but the crazy drivers are still there with you at 80 mph?

BTW when do you suspect you will be driving your truck, or are you on the road already.

Now whether you can go 60 or 80 mph, the risks are always looming on a busy multi lane freeway, these trucks whether stock like mine or modified like your are not what you want to crash with, whether you have a flathead 6 or big V8 and bagged suspension...

58 minutes ago, Jeff Balazs said:

All I really need to be totally happy with driving mine on a daily basis is to get a bit better acceleration and and incline performance out of it. The brakes I have on it and the stock suspension are just fine. It actually steers and handles much better than I ever expected. And it has been 100% reliable which is more than I can say for most of the peoples' cars and trucks around me. I am as comfortable driving it in traffic as I would be in anything else. I think most of the people I share the road with see it......and don't really want to tangle with all that steel and iron. ;)

Jeff

Bottom line a gearing change or more power from your engine. Maybe you should try a an early version NWC T5 with a 4.03 1st gear and .86 final drive

I have looked very hard at the T5 and A 833 swaps. I think they really only make sense if you still have a 4.10 or maybe a 3.90 rear axle. If I was starting off on a fresh build I would probably go in this direction.

With the 3.55 I have I can't imagine any OD gearing being useful. What I may do if find a pair of wheels that I could fit a pair of lower profile tires on and see how that does. I don't think I have to even gain the equivalent of a change to 3.73 to make this all work the way I want it to.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Balazs

This has been an interesting read because the "top speed" of anything is based on power, gearing, and tire size. The Amish boys were not allowed cars, so they put a large truck rear axle on the three point hitch, powered it from the power take off shaft and drove the huge tractor to town at 60 MPH. So to me, know the three things mentioned and you have ONE answer.

4 hours ago, pflaming said:

This has been an interesting read because the "top speed" of anything is based on power, gearing, and tire size. The Amish boys were not allowed cars, so they put a large truck rear axle on the three point hitch, powered it from the power take off shaft and drove the huge tractor to town at 60 MPH. So to me, know the three things mentioned and you have ONE answer.

Well yes, but some engines can spin up to a lot higher RPM and they have gearing like 4.11, shorter tires direct drive in 3rd or 4th.

Its just these little engines especially the 201s and 218s are barely 95 HP, they can't spin up super high and do not have the HP to carry it through.

I drove ,my truck last night 65-70 mph quite easily....

1 hour ago, 59bisquik said:

Game on! Out on a nice flat stretch of highway this morning.

IMG_0605.JPG

Woo Hoo, you da man. So is your speedo accurate? How did she feel, they seem to handle okay at high speed on a good surface and going straight...

The speedo is pretty close within a few mph. I have verified it between 55 and 70 with my GPS.

As for feel... she handles and rides fine at that speed on a smooth highway.  But remember, my  suspension has been completely rebuilt and lowered 6" all around as well as modern lower profile radial tires. I wouldn't of even attempted a quick sprint down the highway on my old worn out suspension and tall bias tires.

She sprinted right up to top speed and runs good. HOWEVER... after checking the calculator for RPM's, I won't be doing that again. I will just stick to the 60-65 range as I don't feel like having a rod leave the engine!

Lets not have to read about an obituary just to prove what an old dodge truck can do!

• Like 3

While this is a fun and interesting thread, my own speeds rarely go over the speed limits, and when they do it's usually because it would not be wise to not "go with the flow".

But having said that, I tend to drive on the slower side, and can get away with it in these parts, just ask my 14 YO son......LOL

Seriously, for my truck, driving 60-65 i good enuff for me getting to that speed or at times passing slow drivers is more important to all out full speed.So the New Jersey Turnpike I would not cut it, as with a multitude of other roadways.

Now Bizquick, I like you find driving these old trucks at speed not a problem they steer and handle quite well when all is in good shape, I do not see the need to clip it, as a lot of others feel the need to do. Th Mopar cars of the 40s 50s, handle like dreams compared to theier counter parts, especially when the shocks are relocated.

Today I drove into Winnipeg to see my elderly Father at hospital, multi lane hwy, all lanes covered with fresh snow, except for 1 , I am driving my Hemi Ram at about 60 mph, and the loons are driving an passing on slippery slushy snow, all ina hurry to go nowhere....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

clipping on here draws no penalty.....

Only if the entire car gets trashed or does not get finished , as so many are guilty of then it' as useless as anyting else.

Bisquick and I both can attest that the C series trucks , ride and handle pretty good, when the steering and suspension is in top shape. No worse than  Jeep CJ series

9 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I was wrong...it did draw a penal-entity

Only is, if in your world you say so. I really don't care what you do in this regard or anyone else, just stating a long term observation. To each there own.

The stock steering and suspension is not engineered like modern IFS but it's not bad at all.

A lot of misinformed types, undertake these swaps and either do not complete them or just end up abandoning the project and selling off the project.

No sweat off my ****s....

Penal-entity...HMMMM you ever do county,state or federal time

Edited by Rockwood
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...