Pilothouse Top Speed

gbhdrake383

23 minutes ago, Bill Parsons said:

Merle, It would take me a mile to stop at that speed. :P

Yep.....no point in talking about top speed without the brakes to go along with it. I have 4 wheel disc's on my 52 and it slows and stops pretty much like a new car or truck.Took me quite a while to get used to it. When you are driving around in a 64 year old truck I think the natural tendency is to start slowing down sooner to allow the old drums to do their job. Not so much with this disc set up. I really recommend it if you are planning on using one of these truck's often in today's traffic. There is nothing like having total confidence in your brakes. Even when cruising at 65 is pushing it in the aerodynamics department.........;)

Jeff

• Like 1

Don't have a picture in action, but my 52 B3B whines a bit when I get up around 120.

Course that's not miles or hours.

My refurbished speedometer is in kilo Furlongs Per Fortnight.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Mine can cruise 65-70 mph easily, have not been above 70 or so, could see it hit 80 mph, as I have 3.23 gears... PS it and I prefer 60 mph most of the time, this truck steers and rides just fine at that speed and even above. I have stock brakes up front and modern drums on the back, stops fine...

4 hours ago, BobB said:

Don't have a picture in action, but my 52 B3B whines a bit when I get up around 120.

Course that's not miles or hours.

My refurbished speedometer is in kilo Furlongs Per Fortnight.

That's an interesting measurement. Do you have the conversion handy? I'm sure it's a pretty interesting formula. :P

Edited by Merle Coggins

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

120 on these trucks would be about right if measured in decibels......

So true . . .             Reminds me I really need to get that Hush mat installed.

13 hours ago, Bill Parsons said:

44.64 mph according to Wolfram Alpha. That's my new favorite velocity unit! :D

Yup, it goes something like this:

120,000 furlongs  x  1 mile.   x    1 fortnight. x  1 day.           =  44.64 mph

fortnight     8 furlongs.    14 days        24 hours

Not too bad, just multiply by fancy "1"s a few times.   Makes for a little fun for us mathletes.

1 minute ago, Merle Coggins said:

Seems that there are several trucks here that have yet to crack even 1 furlong/fortnight. :D But don't fret if you have one of them... you'll get there soon.

YEah, I recently adopted a 47 1-ton dually that's in that category.  Engine doesn't run and most of the brake lines are missing. Would be a real blast down that street to the dock were it not for a working emergency brake.

Guess my first step is to buy a good 6 volt battery and see what it'll take to get the engine going.  It looks really good and all the parts are in place, so we'll see.

I'm thinking it's best to at least diagnose the engine before I start taking things apart. Came from Philly so I've got to get the underside down to metal and get some good protection going.

15 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

120 on these trucks would be about right if measured in decibels......

Yes left as they were originally built..... that by itself would be a very effective speed limiter. I decided to eliminate that condition when building my truck. It can be done. At 65 mine is on a par with your average 10 year old pick up truck.

Cruising at legal road speeds in heavy traffic is doable but in my opinion there are several mod's required to make it an enjoyable experience. Gearing, brakes, suspension and soundproofing all need a fair amount of attention if that is the goal. The real limit to top speed in a Pilothouse is the unfavorable power to weight to shape equation.

Jeff

With 3;73, like others I cruse at 65 and can speed up to 75 if required. I have discs on the front, sufficient, but wish I had put them on the back when I swapped the rear axle. I'm working out the details, LOTS of details!  Must disassemble the dog house and to clean and protect. 

CHOW! 

Im with Paul... 3.73's let me scoot along at 65 without and issues and can get up into the 70's to pass if needed. The new suspension all the way around and discs up front make it pretty comfortable. When she was just a 60 year old truck on heavily worn suspension, it was an entirely different story though...

One must realize when out for a cruise in the old girl, that if your in a hurry... drive something else.

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, pflaming said:

With 3;73, like others I cruse at 65 and can speed up to 75 if required. I have discs on the front, sufficient, but wish I had put them on the back when I swapped the rear axle. I'm working out the details, LOTS of details!  Must disassemble the dog house and to clean and protect. 

CHOW! 

what in the world does food have to do with this.....