Plan B – what, if parts are not or difficult to get

PT81Jan

Heat riser valve

I already have posted that some month ago, but I thought that it fits to this topic “plan B”. So if of interest just follow the link.

http://p15-d24.com/topic/40386-heat-riser-valve-do-it-yourself-solution

Edited by PT81Jan

Cooling water elbow

The small cooling water elbow between the thermostat housing and the water pump was missing at my motor. At that time I did not know much about flat 6 motors and also didn`t know that forum here. Ebay had some elbows, but I was not sure which one would fit to my motor.

So I decided again to find a plan B solution.

I took a 90° brass fitting that normally is used for water installation in houses. Made a connection piece for the hose on my lathe. The flange is made of a brass sheet. Put in a thread for the fitting and soldered all three pieces together to ensure that it doesn’t leak. Done.
Nice small job for a boring weekend
;)

elbow_pieces.JPGwater_elbow.JPG

So, this was my last topic in plan B. I hope it was at least a bit entertaining. Would have been nice, if there were someone who had also a plan B to show.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PT81Jan said:

So, this was my last topic in plan B. I hope it was at least a bit entertaining. Would have been nice, if there were someone who had also a plan B to show.

It was great. Hope you post more if you end up creating anything else! Guess I've been lucky to have all those parts available. Although the clutch shaft for my truck project is borderline on needing repair. Slight wobble of the brake pedal.

On 18.11.2016 at 3:21 PM, Young Ed said:

It was great. Hope you post more if you end up creating anything else! Guess I've been lucky to have all those parts available. Although the clutch shaft for my truck project is borderline on needing repair. Slight wobble of the brake pedal.

I still have one:

Temperature indication

As mentioned above in my topic "tank sending unit" most of the instruments didn`t work. Also the temperature indication.

There was no obviously damage, but latest when I disassembled the feeler cartridge from the head [1], I have broken the small tube that connects the cartridge to the gauge. The result is that the fluid inside the system escapes and thus you have a problem...

I requested Andy Bernbaum, if they can do that kind of repair. And they can, but it was pretty expensive (to be fair: it is commensurate with the effort !!!)

A replacement requires the complete unit consisting of the cartridge, the tube and the instrument. NOS units where to find but those were also not cheap of course.

Again plan B: since my unit was damaged anyway the risk to break something was low… LOL

To shorten it: Tried to find any information about a tube repair and the kind of fluid that is needed. It took me a while.

That was the only really helpful source that I have found at that time and this was my rescue !
->  http://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge (Thanks here to Tod Fitch !!! I hope it is o.k. to place that link here ?!)

Why do I repeat ? Of course the repair is not as easy as it sounds and I will give some additional detail information:

- When disassembling the cartridge out of the head, take the time and soak it with a rust remover (I used WD40) to avoid  torsion on the tube. It will quickly break.

- When you have to cut the tube for a repair take care that not just one crumbs of the copper of the tube is in the capillary. The indication will not work and you have to do it a second time (I did …)

- When the system is filled with ether clean the ends of the tube with alcohol or thinner. If there are residues of the ether on it,  you could get sick to solder it really tight (I did it for the third time then…)

- When everything has worked out the calibration can be done by adjusting the mechanism of the pointer in the instrument. I used a water boiler and a thermometer to get a correct indication.

Repair [2]

Instrument [3]

Good luck to all who will do that kind of repair ! Needs some patience but is not impossible.

feeler_at_motor.JPGrepair.jpginstrument.JPG

Edited by PT81Jan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PT81Jan said:

. . .

Again plan B: since my unit was damaged anyway the risk to break something was low… LOL

To shorten it: Tried to find any information about a tube repair and the kind of fluid that is needed. It took me a while.

That was the only really helpful source that I have found at that time and this was my rescue !
->  http://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge (Thanks here to Tod Fitch !!! I hope it is o.k. to place that link here ?!)

No problem, links are great!

What I don't like are people/sites that copy the whole article and don't give a link or credit to the original.

And I am glad that you were able to make the repair work for you.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Leaf spring rubber bumper

Today I changed the tires and got a look onto the rubber bumpers which are mounted on the front leaf springs. These were completely gone when I did restore my PT81 four years ago. Back then I wanted to order new ones at Bernbaums but they told me they don`t have any on stock and new ones are only available in six month or seven, maybe in nine. Repos which I saw on other providers sides (for my type of truck !) had a completely different dimensioning as my originals. Since I anyway did lower the truck a bit, I was looking for other ones on swap meets and the www. Nothing, too large, too small, too different, pretty expensive …

Some days later in the hardware store, looking for something for the house. Had a bit time and still that rubber thing in my mind. Walked through every single shelf row. Garden section, domestic things, sanitary, tools … stop, what`s that ??!!! Rubber hammers. A lot of rubber hammers ! And in different sizes ! And even cheap, 2 to 4 € each. Took some, cut them into pieces, fabricated two plates of stainless sheet metal, fixed the rubber pieces with a silicon adhesive to them.

And they do their job perfect, not too hard, not too soft.
No month-long waiting, no longer searching, no shipping, no customs fees, …

Sometimes it is so easy, but you don `t see that the source is so close to you …
rubber_bumper.jpg.8db4eec53bedf2369aa95b6227593b6d.jpg

(Pics shows the suspension without load, distance between rubber and frame is much less when the truck is standing on its wheels)

Edited by PT81Jan
  • Like 3

Spot light switch

One of the last things that I always had on the “want to do list” for my truck …

My truck is equipped with a spot light on the driver side. But every time I am entering the cockpit I see that missing spot light switch.

The market offers a lot of aftermarket and NOS spot lights. Easy to buy a complete replacement - so why plan B ? Then I still would have an incomplete (original !) spot light laying around. And although it shows its wear of life (which my whole PT wears with pride) it is not an alternative for me to exchange it for a new one.
The www. search revealed that there exists a lot of different types. Of mine I just got one usable hit. But what was that ?! The pictures showed that the original switch housing is made of a plastic piece, which doesn`t look that nice for my taste. I am not that guy who needs everything absolutely 100% original. But at least it should look like it was made in that era.
So I decided that my only option was to fabricate a switch unit myself:

spot-light1.jpg.7ea59cde061f6d2c228863dac288b61f.jpg

Ahh, I am sometimes a bit impatient once I have an idea, so I like it to use materials that are laying around.

spot-light2.jpg.f10261e3e241d79b381253b1c7103540.jpgspot-light3.jpg.c3ee650a6020ac7aa1cb230f5c055d1c.jpg

spot-light4.jpg.7a78e338a5ce2305df4b4b1a43d8d3cd.jpg

spot-light5.thumb.jpg.93976685acaf74b838f3032e45da78ff.jpg

Edited by PT81Jan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

ummmm...maybe you offer it to others for a small donation...that's good work.

My MoPaR spotlight is missing almost ALL of the inside cab parts...I've never seen what it even looks like!

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2016 at 8:54 AM, PT81Jan said:

Starting with that: worn clutch fork shaft

The shaft of my clutch fork was heavily worn [1]. The clutch and brake pedal wiggled there and back certainly by 1 to 2 inches.

I was hopeless to find a spare part that fits to my truck.

The solution was to remove most of the worn shaft surface by lathing [2]. Since I did not want to reduce the diameter too much, I have left some minor areas. In the second step I pressed a stainless tube onto the shaft. More stable and provides the required diameter for the clutch pedal bore. Additionally the tube is secured with a metal adhesive.

Next where the pedals: bored out the worn/oval holes [3]. I made a brass sleeve which matches the diameter of the shaft and bore hole in the brake pedal. The sleeve has got a collar to provide the distance between the pedals [4]. It also got a groove for lubrication. Since the clutch pedal needs to be connected with the clutch fork shaft, the bore fits to the diameter of the shaft.

Last was to rework / make new sleeves for the clutch housing [5, 6]

That`s it [7].

O.k., access to a lathe and a stable drilling machine is needed … but that was my plan B

Who else had a nice plan B to find ?

1.JPG2.JPG3_1.JPG3_2.JPG

4_1.JPG4_2.JPG5.JPG6.JPG7.JPG

I did the same. I drove the truck over to my machinist, removed the clutch and brake pedals, measured the shaft, had him make up inserts, popped them back on, and away I went.  Took just a few hours.

22 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

ummmm...maybe you offer it to others for a small donation...that's good work.

My MoPaR spotlight is missing almost ALL of the inside cab parts...I've never seen what it even looks like!

I for sure would offer my help, if someone was sticking in a problem like a missing spot light piece. But since the only CNC machine which I own is my hands, it takes a couple of hours to fabricate such single parts. And since I am located in Germany, it probably would be even less interesting for folks due to shipping of items. Buuut, I really like to fabricate such fiddly things, so if you seriously need a spot light inside part, I of course will help you. I still have  a bit of the materials left. Shipping would be to you, parts ...hmmm, forget it - hey I am a Senior member, have way too much spare time on my hands ;)

21 hours ago, Ralph Pearce said:

I did the same. I drove the truck over to my machinist, removed the clutch and brake pedals, measured the shaft, had him make up inserts, popped them back on, and away I went.  Took just a few hours.

Thank you for your reply, Ralph. Just a few hours ?!  That sounds very good ! Sometimes I am a bit envious on folks in the US. Good part sources, machine shops that are willing to put their hands on old Mopar technique without demanding gold bars for their work. Not so here. I think just that limitation is the reason why I am doing plan B´s. But it is pretty o.k., part of the passion :P

Edited by PT81Jan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PT81Jan said:

I for sure would offer my help, if someone was sticking in a problem like a missing spot light piece. But since the only CNC machine which I own is my hands, it takes a couple of hours do fabricate such single parts. And since I am located in Germany, it probably would be even less interesting for folks due to shipping of items. Buuut, I really like to fabricate such fiddly things, so if you seriously need a spot light inside part, I of course will help you. I still have  a bit of the materials left. Shipping would be to you, parts ...hmmm, forget it - hey I am a Senior member, have way too much spare time on my hands ;)

I'll be in Berlin, Doebln, Prague, and Munchen in the fall for Oktoberfest..any where near those?

1 minute ago, ggdad1951 said:

I'll be in Berlin, Doebln, Prague, and Munchen in the fall for Oktoberfest..any where near those?

In comparison to the distance between your home and Germany I am practically next those towns. In relation to the size of Germany it is not directly in the neighborhood.  I am located in the very South of Germany -> http://p15-d24.com/membermap/

11 hours ago, PT81Jan said:

I for sure would offer my help, if someone was sticking in a problem like a missing spot light piece. But since the only CNC machine which I own is my hands, it takes a couple of hours to fabricate such single parts. And since I am located in Germany, it probably would be even less interesting for folks due to shipping of items. Buuut, I really like to fabricate such fiddly things, so if you seriously need a spot light inside part, I of course will help you. I still have  a bit of the materials left. Shipping would be to you, parts ...hmmm, forget it - hey I am a Senior member, have way too much spare time on my hands ;)

Thank you for your reply, Ralph. Just a few hours ?!  That sounds very good ! Sometimes I am a bit envious on folks in the US. Good part sources, machine shops that are willing to put their hands on old Mopar technique without demanding gold bars for their work. Not so here. I think just that limitation is the reason why I am doing plan B´s. But it is pretty o.k., part of the passion :P

We didn't remove or do any work to the shaft, however most of the play was in the pedals themselves. Machinist (Tom) had to drill out one of the pedals (brake I think), to fit an insert where non existed.  I'm fortunate that Tom specializes in old vehicles and enjoys figuring out solutions. Guess it goes with the territory on these old vehicles. Reminds me of some of the creative solutions that I've heard coming out of Cuba. 

• 2 years later...

It`s been a while, since I started that topic, maybe the one or the other here remembers ...

As the topic says, sometimes it is hard to find parts. Sometimes a little pricey due to $ item + $ overseas shipping + $ customs + $ tax + $ € exchange rate.

So from time to time I decide for Plan B.

Enjoy, if you want.

Anyway, since I own my Plymouth, the horn button was a separate button, located at the dash.

The internal parts in the steering wheel were mostly missing, just pretty rotten remnants of the base retainer.

A parts kit is available, about 85 $ + ...

Horn button

This is a smart, but tricky construction. My book shows the parts, but first I couldn`t figure out, how these work together.

Found a helpful video in the www. Here a link, in case some need to understand it also -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07IULvpDJaI

No. - Part - made of:

A1 - base retainer (first attempt) - Powdered sugar sprinkler, stainless steel. The first I found was 10€ ... hmmm, the next 1 € (probably so cheap, because almost impossible to open and close)

A2 - base retainer / second attempt) - plastic cap of a household cleaner. Surprising stable and the shape inside was so perfect (large spring mount), had to to have it. Needed to craft a replacement (wife`s "wish" ...)

B - large spring - spring collection box - had to reduce the pitch a little with the help of a torch. Heat treatment required to keep spring characteristics. Otherwise would have been soft.

C - contact plate - brass sheet. An old motorcycle battery box I made long ago.

D - contact disc - brass round bar

E - actuating spring - spring collecting box

F  - clip ring - stainless spoke of my old bicycle

G - broken horn button repair - plastic drain pipe

H - contact - brass ??? I even don`t know the German word for that thing ... last time I used such a ??? I was in kindergarden and crafted a paper windmill. That ??? was the propeller axle.

J - contact holder - black nylon piece of any cannibalized domestic machine (there a re sometimes so nice parts inside ...I have got a good collection)

Did I miss something ? Hmm think, that`s all.

Ohm meter test was successful. Button works. Ready for installation.

horn-button1.jpg.d7baeeea5573e7a1415fdc3d8c2b28d4.jpg

horn-button2.jpg.c3b8f57f0b2f2569a41ca3400dd632df.jpg

Edited by PT81Jan
  • Like 6

Super MacGyver!

I don't know how I have missed this post in the past but I sure did

but I'm following it now, awesome job on all of them.

16 hours ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

Nice work!  ?

Thanks a lot PT81 mate ;-)

12 hours ago, billrigsby said:

Super MacGyver!

I don't know how I have missed this post in the past but I sure did

but I'm following it now, awesome job on all of them.

Haha, my wife said the same when I explained here, what I would like to do with the cleaner cap.

I feel honored that you follow this, but I cannot promise I will have much further plan B stuff in the future. I know nothing which is missing or has to be replaced at the moment. But who knows ... :-)

The idea behind this thread is to give others an inspiration how to repair stuff / get a alternative replacement for their Mopar, in case they don`t have a source, don`t find a specific piece, or just cannot afford a part and don`t know where / how to start. For the others who are interested maybe just a little entertainment.