67 Year Old Muffler Failure

mmcdowel

The original muffler on my 1950 Dodge Meadowbrook has acquired a few pin holes.  When I take it to the shop does it really matter what I replace it with?  Just something that looks similar and sounds the same?  Just thought I would ask before I take it in......

• Like 1

It all depends on what you are doing with the car.  If you are showing the car at an AACA national meet then you should have the correct shape muffler installed and the correct length.  They do lookunder the car to see how the undercarriage is an if it is clean and restored to factory like condition upo0n when the car was delivered from the factory to the dealership.

If you just have a driver then any muffler that will fit and also sound like you want it to is just fine.  If you had a factory muffler installed originally then maybe you will also have to have a new tailpipe bent because the newer muffler might not be the same length or  a piece of extra length tailpipe will have to be fitted to make up the distance.

Hope this helps.  Try to get a walker because I have heard that so long as you can read the muffler number they are guaranteed.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

4 minutes ago, dale said:

Is it still under warranty ?

A couple times per year I get an e-mail or phone call from some scammer asking if I want to extend the warranty on my car. I answer "sure". Then they ask what year is my car. I respond 1948.  For some reason the SOB's always hang up on me.:(

• Like 7

Remember the old TV commercial from Midas where the old timer brings his Model A into Midas for another muffler under the lifetime guarantee ?  My 1993 Roadmaster still has the original exhaust system and has went thru many salted roads here in Minnesota.

• Like 1

What some people seem to forget is the muffler may have a lifetime replacement but the labor to install it does not.  I seem to recall taking old pipes out of worn out and rotted mufflers usually means new pipes as well when all said and done.  Not all Walkers carry a lifetime warranty.  If that's what you want, check first  since they  have several lines of mufflers.  The other thing to check is Walker, and every other manufacturer seems to section their exhaust systems just a bit differently than the factory did and to get it to fit well and look well, the rest of the pipes often need to be purchased as well.

The muffler used by Chevrolet in the late 50s, early sixties was the same as that used by most Plymouths and Dodges of the early 50s except for the outlet pipe size.  A simple swaging (right word ? enlargement) is all  that is needed for a perfect fit.  Unfortunately I cannot recall the number, but the one for the Plymouth may have been 467.

Excellent advice as always!  Thanks everyone!  Just got back from the shop and they had one in stock that almost exactly matched the original.  The pipes checked out fine.  Took the opportunity to totally inspect the undercarriage and was pleased its all still painted with no rust spots.  Apparently Oklahoma's relatively dry climate and mild winters are kind to old cars (except for the tornadoes and earthquakes of course).  Thanks again for everyone's input.  Love this site.  MMc

18 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

A couple times per year I get an e-mail or phone call from some scammer asking if I want to extend the warranty on my car. I answer "sure". Then they ask what year is my car. I respond 1948.  For some reason the SOB's always hang up on me.:(

That's a great answer. I am going to remember that.:D:D:D:D!

John R

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Longevity of original exhausts puzzles me.

In most today's cars, original exhausts are made of stainless. These exhausts may last 10-15 years. Aftermarket exhausts made of aluminized steel don't last more than 2-3 years.

In my '37 Plymouth, the original exhaust pipes are still usable. They are not stainless. I guess metallurgists of old times new something about their craft.

1 hour ago, sser2 said:

Longevity of original exhausts puzzles me.

In most today's cars, original exhausts are made of stainless. These exhausts may last 10-15 years. Aftermarket exhausts made of aluminized steel don't last more than 2-3 years.

In my '37 Plymouth, the original exhaust pipes are still usable. They are not stainless. I guess metallurgists of old times new something about their craft.

I have aftermarket aluminized  exhaust on my 54 F100 that been on the truck for 20 years it's holding up fine

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...