Window and radio.

Smoke4570

Got my 1950 B2B home this weekend. Couple of initial questions.

Most pressing issue for me is the driver side door window is cracked really bad. I've seen some replacements for sale, but wanted to see what others have used.

Second, previous owner said the tubes in the radio blew after the 12V conversion. I have a spare radio, but want to make sure I don't damage it. Any suggestions to make sure the radio is protected?

Thanks!

The side window is just flat glass, and shop that does automotive glass should be able to order it in and cut it for you, if they don't stock it...lots do.  You will need a pattern, so if you can possibly get the window out in one piece that's good...if not, use your passenger side window as a template.

for the radio, you will need to install a resistor to drop the volts...Radio shack or store alike or eBay  should be able to help you out with that 

I just had my drivers side glass cut (with vent window) for my B4, the shop quoted me "about" $65. when the glass was done, it was $65. PLUS a $25. "pattern cut"

turns out pattern cut around here means anything other than a square. save yourself some anguish, make sure there aren't any surprises upfront :)

($25. doesn't sound like much, but I had 5 pieces done...... )

Dang, I got all of my windows cut and installed (vent & door windows in the frames) for about $350 - windshield, corner windows (originals) and rear window installed at my house (about a 50 mile round trip for the glass shop.  And, a windshield cracked, so they came out and replaced it on their dime a month later.

It's flat glass, which is not expensive.  Check the local glass shops.  I found this shop by asking a guy that restores old Fords for a living.

On 11/7/2016 at 8:46 AM, Smoke4570 said:

Got my 1950 B2B home this weekend. Couple of initial questions.

Most pressing issue for me is the driver side door window is cracked really bad. I've seen some replacements for sale, but wanted to see what others have used.

Second, previous owner said the tubes in the radio blew after the 12V conversion. I have a spare radio, but want to make sure I don't damage it. Any suggestions to make sure the radio is protected?

Thanks!

You say you have a spare radio, if you want to part with the other one, PM me, I'd like to try my hand at rebuilding one.

Rather than trying to step down the voltage to power your vintage radio, maybe you could send it to one of the retro-fitters to have it converted to a modern radio. There are some out there that will keep the vintage look but put all new, and modern, electronics in it.