plymouth 1948 coupe build thread

Cudan

today i cleaned the lower control arms, there was a lot dirt and grease on them.

after the cleaning i sandblasted them.

for to service the control arm i also wanted to disassemble the armsshaft pin and bushing but they are stuck so i penetrated them with wd 40 an will try it again later on.

58e7cfb90c223_draagarmonderroestenschoon.jpg.d2d9fe56c2c5a89ebf7a4ff64f55619c.jpg

• Like 1

Cudan.........a trick to getting the lower inner bushes undone is to place the A arm in a vice held by the actual pin with the A arm pivoting so that when you place a socket and bar on the bush to undo it it spins the arm around and hard up against the vice or bench that the vice is mounted on.........you might find that you need to use the largest/longest socket bar or even a piece of heavy wall tubing over the bar to give you a bit of extra purchase but I've found that once the pivot pin and a arm are held firm the bushes will undo.....a bit of WD40 helps once the bushes are cracked loose.............hope this makes sense.........lol.............andyd   

9 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Cudan.........a trick to getting the lower inner bushes undone is to place the A arm in a vice held by the actual pin with the A arm pivoting so that when you place a socket and bar on the bush to undo it it spins the arm around and hard up against the vice or bench that the vice is mounted on.........you might find that you need to use the largest/longest socket bar or even a piece of heavy wall tubing over the bar to give you a bit of extra purchase but I've found that once the pivot pin and a arm are held firm the bushes will undo.....a bit of WD40 helps once the bushes are cracked loose.............hope this makes sense.........lol.............andyd   

i tryed yesterday after 4 days WD 40 but until know the nut is still stuck :(

3 hours ago, Cudan said:

i tryed yesterday after 4 days WD 40 but until know the nut is still stuck :(

Thats because WD40 isn't for that. You need a good penetrating oil. Liquid Wrench, Deep Kreep, Aerokroil, there's more I'm forgetting. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

Thats because WD40 isn't for that. You need a good penetrating oil. Liquid Wrench, Deep Kreep, Aerokroil, there's more I'm forgetting

Or you can make your own penetrating oil using acetone and ATF 50-50.

ok, i thougt WD 40 was a good product for the.

ia have aceton and atf and wil give that a try

Dan

Cudan.......did my convoluted instructions on holding the A arm in a vice help? or even make sense?..............lol.........when undoing these bushes what you are trying to move is the outer threaded part of the bush which is a very coarse thread that basically screws itself into the inside of the A arm hole and is held with a MINIMIUM of 165 ft lbs.......its TIGHT, &  thats why I suggest to hold the pivot pin in a large vice, put on the socket with just a rachet and then turn the rachet which will spin the arm around until it comes up against something, probably the bench or vice and stops...............THEN replace the rachet with the biggest breaker bar and/or piece of pipe as an extension on the socket and try this to undo the bush.............sometimes you may have to use a piece of pipe 2-3 FOOT long as an extension, once the bush moves even a minute amount THEN use the oil, WD40 etc ........just thought of another way to move the bushes............reattach the A arm to the chassis( will only need 2 bolts, one at either end) and use the chassis to essentially hold the pin in place then use the socket and pipe extension and have at it.............ain't old cars fun?........lol......................andyd      

• Like 1

Yes they are Andydodge!  Rust is truly the best loctite on this planet!  It'll make you bleed sometimes....  Hang in there Cudan, you will eventually win the war.

Frank.......have never seen PB Blaster here in Oz and I wonder whether its available in Europe or the Netherlands where Cudan is..........and would it work anyway due to how tight these bushes are done up?..........andyd

Hi Guys,

Pb blaster is not available overhere, but i made andy's recepy acetone and ATF 50-50 and put i on, tomorrow again and i wil give a try the way andy wrote.

I will win ;) this battle

Cudan.........not my recipe.....lol..........I just use a longer piece of pipe...........lol..............btw..it sometimes helps to discuss its parentage and various reproductive positions that the parts in question can try.........lol.........nah, you'll get there........lol..........andyd 

Edited by Andydodge

19 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Cudan.........not my recipe.....lol..........I just use a longer piece of pipe...........lol..............btw..it sometimes helps to discuss its parentage and various reproductive positions that the parts in question can try.........lol.........nah, you'll get there........lol..........andyd 

sorry it was Don's recipy.

Today after penetrating i tryed it with a longer pipe and with the arm i the vice and locked against the bench with positive result with 1 arm.

lowerarmbankschroef.jpg.6ce03871f95ab46280db459a94b01913.jpg

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!............lol...........I knew you'd get there eventually.........lol..........andyd

Both the lower arms are ready ! the next challenge are the upperarms. The studs for the upper mounting of the shock absorber are stuck due the rust, the bolt already removed.

I am penetrating them every day and removing the free coming rust.

Is it corect thats when i hit them with a nylon hammer at the red dot  i can loosen them.

upperarm.jpg

5 hours ago, Cudan said:

Both the lower arms are ready ! the next challenge are the upperarms. The studs for the upper mounting of the shock absorber are stuck due the rust, the bolt already removed.

I am penetrating them every day and removing the free coming rust.

Is it corect thats when i hit them with a nylon hammer at the red dot  i can loosen them.

upperarm.jpg

Doan no nuttin bout no nylon hammer,but if it were me,I'd screw a old nut ALMOST flush with the end,and then beat hell out of it with a BFH,pausing occasionally to tap along the sides where the bolt passes through to try to loosen any rust or dirt in there.

Do you have a parts wash cabinet? If you do,you can soak it in there for a few days with the agitator going so the cleaner can get into the tight places,and THEN commence beating  on it with the hammer. Should require a lot less hammer beating after that.

Edited by knuckleharley

Cudan................am pleased the lower arms are apart, as Knuckle says screw the nut back on flush with the end of the threads and one good wack with a LARGE hammer should loosen the stud.......maybe squirt some WD40 stuff then give it a wack!..........lol..................andyd

I first tried with the nylon hammer because i did not want to damage the threads.

I will soak it with the penatrting oil for a few days more and wil use the heavier hamer on the nut flush on the thread .

Dan