WPC Historical museum will soon be History

Don Coatney

I am a board member of a small town Historical Society and my wife is a board member of another town, it sucks how much work and money is put into these property's from usually a small number of ACTIVE members to only get a few visitors a year.  I have no idea how to peak interest of the next generations.   

• Like 1

I continue to encourage my grand kids to take an interest in history and historical events. These kids are attending the same elementary school that I went to where I learned all about the history of Indiana and Fort Wayne. Seems such things are no longer taught in the public schools. In the days I attended these schools we had one black and white TV and one rotary dial telephone in the house. Last count there were 7 TV's in there house and every kid has there own click click mobile device. It is easier for them to play shoot em up click games than to learn about there surroundings. 

• Like 2

I hate that, never had the opportunity to go. Would have loved to have seen it. I'd have thought it would have  been a popular attraction. But what do I know, I think junkyards and swap meets are a popular attractions.

• Like 2

I am debating whether to makes the 650 mile drive in December.  What a shame it will be closing. If our weather stays like it is it won't be a problem.  It was 64 here in Minnesota today! I just wonder how busy it will be that last weekend.  I was reading that a lot of people in Auburn Hills didn't even know it exists. 

If anybody is making the trip, it might also be worthwhile to see the Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village.  The place has lots of amazing stuff, covering a wide variety of American technology and history.  I was there in the early-2000's with my wife and kids and we'd all go back again.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JerseyHarold said:

If anybody is making the trip, it might also be worthwhile to see the Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village.  The place has lots of amazing stuff, covering a wide variety of American technology and history.  I was there in the early-2000's with my wife and kids and we'd all go back again.

I second your suggestion. I have been there but may hit Studebaker museum in South Bend or Auburn-Cord museum in Auburn IN on way out.

Plymothy Adams has a nice museum in beautiful downtown ELKO GA. i have spent  a lot of time there . along with the historic automobile items you can experience  several lively ghost on the tour ,  believe me !  and you will never forget the dead animal exhibit again believe me ! and for few more dollars at the end of a long day of back breaking labor  which is required for the entry fee , Plymouthy will feed you his award winning red rice and ice cream dinner. you can even park in his pecan orchard and sleep in your vehicle no hotel required . make your reservations now .

well....the news is out...there goes the neighborhood..I will be soon flooded with guests....(and if you think I got any work out of wayfarerstranger, I got some property to sell ya when you get here)  he did however watched in awe as I cut and laid out my new barn doors for the rear of the barn.

and as far as the odor goes...man was it bad just back of the barn and across the fence.......I later got to talk with the neighbor, seems his dog had dragged in the upper chest cavity of a dead deer.....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Ya got a big BBQ.?? Time forum the forum members to make travel-camping plans for next spring!

I've been to the big Ca. BBQ twice but never to Ga.I would Expect some Ga. roadkill for the  BBQ meat.

I understand Tim does not drink alcoholic beverages so if wanting some for the week it's BYOB.^_^:lol:

Just realized how far from the original posters subject this has gone.

Tim you need to post a announcement new forum post about your BBQ info! :rolleyes:

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

while BBQ is often quite good when properly prepared...and roadkill is often a cheap way out, heck just this morning I passed two fresh kill 4 point bucks dead in the medium on the way to town...however, it cannot hold a candle to a Low Country Boil

and yes I do not do alcohol....

• Like 1

I have been to both the Chrysler and Ford museums. Both are worth it. The Ford has more varied collection including tractors and  much about the way life was in the 20's and 30's.  

Hey, did you say BOIL???  Forget the low country, I boil mud bugs, shrimp and blue crab down here. Zydeco and spicey!  

blue crabs .......yes

shrimp.............yes

mud bugs (assuming you mean crayfish).....icksnay  

I've eaten them and the first introduction was in Louisiana in 1971....the tail is just blah blah blah and the head...you suck the muck out that if you wish...not this ole boy, and IF you place cocktail sauce on them, cheaper to just buy bread and soak in cocktail sauce and save your money for real meat.  Save the mudbugs for fishing bait, that what it really is anyway....:lol:

Edited by Plymouthy Adams